ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL NOTES!

jim comparoni

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT: MSU's Jersey Scrimmage

Jim Comparoni • SpartanMag.com
@JimComparoni

EAST LANSING - Michigan State staged its first Jersey Scrimmage of the spring, Thursday at Spartan Stadium.

Media were not allowed to attend.

So what can we glean out of the morsels of information released on Thursday? Here are my Five Things To Know about Thursday's closed scrimmage:

1. L.J. SCOTT PLAYED AT LEAST A LITTLE BIT

ur1sv2motu0oisi8qryy

LJ Scott (3) maneuvers around defensive tackle Raequan Williams (99) during Thursday's scrimmage. Photo courtesy MSU.

Michigan State released a photo from the the scrimmage, with Scott carrying the ball, between the tackles, working through and past Raequan Williams.

Photo worth a thousand words?

My Take: I’m not expecting Scott to get a lot of live-tackle work this spring. He has had some upper-body injuries, and procedures, in the past. Michigan State has rested workhorse upper class running backs in past springs, such as Scott last year and Le’Veon Bell in 2012.

The fact that Scott was in uniform and carrying the ball in this scrimmage, first of all, indicates that he is feeling good, with all body parts functioning well. He missed some practice time at the outset of spring, so it was good to see him back out on the field and in working order. The time he missed is not believed to be due to physical ailments.

Michigan State didn’t release stats from the scrimmage, so we don’t know how many carries Scott had. My guess is that he didn’t play much, maybe a carry here or there. That would be the wise thing to do, in my opinion. Coaches know what he can do, and he knows the playbook (although he had some foggy moments in 2016). So this is a time to maybe give him a glimpse or two of scrimmage speed, and then rest the wheels and parts for most of the off-season.

Let the record show, or at least the photograph, that there were no grass stains or dirt stains on Scott, Williams or the first offensive lineman in the photo released by Michigan State. Those uniforms were laundry-room clean. There is a little grass stain on the knee of the right guard. I suspect that that photo was shot on one of the first plays of the scrimmage.

So it’s good that Scott was in uniform, getting some work. But I’m not concluding for a second that he had more than a handful of reps. And don’t expect a statistical release stating he carried the ball 20 times for 100 yards.

2. I'M LEFT WONDERING ABOUT THE OTHER RUNNING BACKS

fsi2qdsmqpnmbznytxur

Connor Heyward, shown here during last week's practice, needs to emerge as a reliable second-string running back this spring.

Madre London has transferred to Tennessee. Gerald Holmes has graduated. If Scott didn’t play much, as is the usual mode of operation for Michigan State personnel decisions in the spring, then how about second-stringer Connor Heyward?

Great question. I don’t know. We’ll try to learn more during interviews on Friday - the first time we will have a chance to conduct interviews in more than two weeks.

3. CAM CHAMBERS MADE A PLAY

hgqhxeevpvdvx4xmklss

Sophomroe WR Cam Chambers tries to break the tackle attempt of Tre Person during Thursday's scrimmage with Tyson Smith (15) converging.

Chambers, the big, sophomore receiver, is shown running with the ball during the scrimmage, presumably after a reception. He’s working against a tackle attempt by sophomore cornerback Tre Person in the photo while cornerback Tyson Smith is also in the frame.

MY TAKE: I’m not afraid to comment on a still photo. Heck, I have an opinion after watching a cloud or a train go by, so why not have an opinion on a still photo from a scrimmage.

First of all, the grass looks pretty solid. Not a bad thing for mid-to-late March. These can be cold, soggy days, most years. The cold isn’t a problem. Dry cold is good for a field, giving the players a chance to get outside and scrimmage at the stadium.

As for Chambers, it’s a majorly important spring for the 6-foot-2, 215-pound wide out from Sicklerville, N.J.

With Hunter Rison and Trishton Jackson having transferred, there is room for a fourth wheel in the receiving corps to go along with Felton Davis, Darrell Stewart and Cody White. Someone needs to jump into the playing group and earn trust.

Chambers enrolled at Michigan State two years ago as a mid-year guy along with Donnie Corley. Corley, Jackson and and Rison each edged ahead of Chambers in the receiver pecking order. But Chambers has made slow, steady progress behind the scenes. With Corley long having gone away, and now Rison and Jackson gone, it’s time for Chambers to have a statement spring.

Chambers had five catches for 66 yards last year, and was targeted (incomplete) on a deep post in the end zone late in the Holiday Bowl, getting reps ahead of Jackson and/or Rison.

I’m not ready to proclaim that a photo of Chambers trying to battle through a tackle after an apparent catch signals his arrival. But if I were an Michigan State fan and there were any player I would want to see depicted in a still photo after the first scrimmage of the spring, it would be Chambers. He was in uniform, he looked the part, he made a play. That’s positive.

4. THE SPARTANS SCRIMMAGES FOR ONLY 60 SNAPS
That’s a low number of snaps for a scrimmage, but not a low number for the first scrimmage of a spring. The Spartans often scrimmage for 90-plus snaps during the peak days of spring football or August camp. The Spartans are likely building up to that level.

Michigan State had regular practice time at the outdoor practice fields at the Duffy Daugherty Building on Thursday before walking across Shaw Lane to finish the day with the 60-snap scrimmage at Spartan Stadium.

“We practiced and scrimmaged both, so we got a lot done,” Dantonio said in a set of short quotes released by the university. “You come over to the stadium and let them play. The coaches are off the field and there’s no do-overs. There’s referees, you pipe in some crowd noise, and everything is game like. So we try and simulate game-like situations the best we can for them. I think that’s the biggest thing and how you grow the best. You put pressure on them and put them in different situations, or allow the situations to take place, rather than script them.”

The Spartans were off two weeks ago due to spring break. Last week, they practiced in shells (shoulder pads, no leg pads) on Tuesday, March 13 and then practiced for the first time in full pads on Thursday, March 15. Two more padded practices on Saturday and Tuesday set the foundation for this week’s scrimmage on Thursday.

Six practices remain prior to the Green-White Game at 5 p.m. on April 7 at Spartan Stadium.

5. THE DEFENSE WON. BIG DEAL?
The defense won the scrimmage, 12-3.

MY TAKE: Not much. Low-scoring scrimmage on a day with limited snaps.

Dantonio has been known to alter the scoring as a scrimmage goes along in order to set up a close finish, to put pressure on the offense to execute late. Maybe that wasn’t the case this time, or perhaps the defense is that far ahead right now. Hard to say. Either way, no big deal. But you don't want the offense to win a 45-43 shootout in the first scrimmage of the spring. Show me high-scroring scrimmages and I'll show you a leaky team in the fall.

“You have to watch the film to see how everybody played, but the positive thing is you step back and let people play,” Dantonio said. “We have some young quarterbacks and we let them go today. They made some throws and they made some mistakes, but that’s all part of it. I thought it was a good day today.”

As has been the case in recent years, Dantonio’s quotes following scrimmages offer little information on which individuals or position groups played well, or which ones struggled.

But he did reveal that young quarterbacks played, made some throws and some mistakes. I saw Rocky Lombardi outside the stadium on Thursday during my walk from the stadium parking lot to Breslin Center for the high school state semifinals. Rocky looks like he always does - happy to be on campus.

I also saw linebacker Joe Bachie as he left the stadium and walked to the Skandalaris Center. He looked good and cranky.

“He was a young player last year, a very dynamic player,” Danotnio said of Bachie. “I think he can build on things, in terms of knowledge. He’s got leadership skills; I think he can build on that leadership skill.”

As for the young quarterbacks getting a chance to play, I took that to mean Lombardi and true freshman Theo Day. Day enrolled at Michigan State in January. Putting him on the field after just seven practices, and three in pads against the Spartan defense surely made for one of the most educational football experiences of his young career, and probably one with more than a few miscues. But he’ll be ahead of where a regular freshman QB would be in August when preseason camp starts.

No details were released on Lombardi’s performance. It’s a big spring for the redshirt freshman from Des Moines, Iowa, as he is the unquestioned second-string QB behind Brian Lewerke, due to the transfer of Messiah de Weaver.

* Michigan State will practice again on Friday. Media will be allowed to watch, although there’s a chance the players won’t be in full pads, having scrimmaged a day earlier.

Due to the defense's victory on Thursday, the defense will now be wearing the green jerseys. The offense wore green at the outset of spring practice this year because the offense won the last scrimmage of preseason camp in August. These things can carry over for a long time, which puts a little extra incentive and pride on the line for the scrimmages.

WILLIS STEPPING UP

bpqsn84lfpkse61vsaim

Khari Willis had a productive 2017 and is working to make further statements in 2018. (Photos courtesy MSU)

Dantonio said this about his team when they practiced for the first time in pads, last week, after a week off for spring break:

“They had a great attitude coming back from spring break. We have good leadership from our older guys. I really feel like our football team is all going in one direction, and that’s a very positive thing.”

Compliments for senior leadership is a theme for spring practice thus far. Bachie, Lewerke and Khari Willis seem to be the unquestioned alpha dogs of the group this year, which is a welcomed change from the uncertainty of last spring and the lack of success from the year before.

“Guys like Khari, myself and Joe Bachie have stepped up, trying to lead this team,” Lewerke said. “Khari was a leader for us last year, but I can definitely tell that he has recognized his role and stepped up even more.”

Willis (6-0, 214, Sr., Jackson) was honorable mention All-Big Ten last year by media and coaches. He recorded 71 tackles after starting all 13 games at boundary safety. He had 5.5 tackles for loss and 4.0 sacks.

Willis spent a portion of winter conditioning studying film of himself and the defense as a whole.

“We’ve seen things on film throughout the year and after the year, after doing studies, coaches doing studies, looking for ways to get better and there’s a lot of them,” he said. “So we’re going to go out and try to make the most of those opportunities.”

The 12-3 victory in the Jersey Scrimmage probably sits well with Willis.

“I’m juts very excited to be back out, being able to play football,” he said.

PRO DAY ON TAP
MSU’s annual Pro Day scouting combine will take place from 1 to 3 p.m. on Friday.

“We have five guys working out (Brian Allen, Demetrius Cooper, Chris Frey, Gerald Holmesand Brett Scanlon), and that’s the fewest we’ve ever had,” Dantonio said. “But they’ve been good players for us and a lot of NFL teams will be here represented. Pro Day will be a little smaller for us this year, but that’s not a bad thing, because it means most of your guys are back. It should be a great day.”

Michigan State is one of only five schools to have had at least one player chosen every year since the inception of the common NFL Draft in 1967. MSU joins Florida, Michigan, Nebraska and USC as the only programs with at least one draft choice for 51 consecutive years. Hopes and expectations rest with Allen to continue to that streak.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News