ADVERTISEMENT

For those that are all about going national and "just get the best players no matter what"

Matt Dorsey

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
You do understand that going national in today's climate means spending more money than Texas A&M, Miami, Oregon and the likes.

You do understand that kids that do not live within BIG footprint are way more likely to transfer when they face any adversity.

When you go and get a kid from 1000 miles away at the expense of a kid almost just as good who is 200 miles away you are probably going to have to play against the kid who is 200 miles away.

I am all for going after good kids not from Midwest, but the idea of MSU not having Ohio/Michigan and Indiana and Chicago area as 50% or more of focus is just foolish IMO.

Why have Cincy and Kentucky become relevant in college football? They each have have a dozen kids on roster that could/should be at MSU. I think some on MD"s staff got a bit lazy on recruiting trail and that is partially why a change was needed. How easy would it be for MSU to recruit the 4 hour footprint coming off 11-2 season? You are the top close option. You go into Texas, you have to deal with A&M $ and Baylor and Ok State were both 12-2 last year as well and way closer.

You do not need to beat OSU for Ohio kids, but you do need to beat everyone else. You split the state of Michigan and get the best in Ohio that OSU does not want. Then you spend some NIL to pick some kids from down south. That is how you end up with a roster like 1999 or better yet 2013-2015.

Just look at the run of WR's MSU had when they got it rolling

Burbridge
Lippett
Cunningham
Martin
C. White
B. White
Fowler
Dell

How many of these guys were offered by OSU?

Oh and the RB's

Ringer
Scott
Langford
Bell
Baker

TE's

Celek
Price
Sims
Gantt

I am not trying to start another "Ohio" thread. I am just pointing out that when the talent level is very close. The local option has to be weighed in the equation. Not only are they less likely to demand big $ to come to local school, but they are also less likely to transfer when faced with adversity (Which probably 75% of player deal with at some point).

Did MSU even go after Jaquez Keyes hard? I mean his coach is a Rose Bowl STUD Spartan and he is going to Wisconsin? It will be interesting to see how Ryan Caretta makes out at Pitt considering most say we were not ready to accept his commit. Have to think with Jeff Pietrowski playing at MSU that MIchael Kilbane would have given MSU a very serious look. Are any of these kids looking to flip from commits with their teams have sub=par years or even getting rid of HC? BTW, I would be putting feelers out to just get Darius Taylor up to East Lansing for an unofficial for the Rutgers game and then maybe try and lock in an Official 1st or 2nd week of Dec. Word I had was we did not push hard early on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News