ADVERTISEMENT

MEN'S BASKETBALL Future of the Gavitt Games now in doubt

Dr. Green and White

All-Flintstone
Staff
Sep 4, 2003
Howell, MI
Jon Rothstein just published an article implying that the Gavitt Games (i.e. the Big Ten/Big East Challenge, so to speak) is in trouble:

"After nearly coming to an official agreement to continue the Gavitt Games beyond the upcoming season, the Big Ten and Big East have hit an impasse, putting the future of the event in jeopardy, multiple sources told College Hoops Today."

The article does not have much detail at all, but this sentence was also interesting:

"The Big Ten’s recent additions of UCLA, USC, Washington, and Oregon have raised many questions regarding the future scheduling structure of the conference, especially if the league opts to add additional conference games moving forward."

It sounds to me like the Big Ten is the party that is pulling out here and the reason appears connected to a thought of expanding beyond the current 20-game conference schedule. Are we headed towards a world of something like a 24-game conference schedule? With 18 Big Ten teams, that would mean 10 single plays and 7 home-at-home games. It would also mean around 6 conference games before Christmas.

I guess that would not be terrible, but I don't love it. As for the Gavitt Games, I honestly don't think anyone is really going to miss it. MSU schedules tough enough as it is. One way or another, Izzo is going to get a challenging schedule as long as he is in East Lansing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News