ADVERTISEMENT

HOCKEY HUGE ADD: Artyom Levshunov playing this fall at MSU

bradlaplante

MSU Hockey Insider
Nov 18, 2022
Lansing, Mich.
Michigan State adds defenseman Artyom Levshunov this week. Here's my takeaway. Y'all should get excited.

1. Levshunov's production was higher than Owen Power's in the USHL at 63 points. Power was drafted No. 1 overall in 2021.
2. The main reason he's in the NCAA is because the Canadian Hockey League banned Russian and Belarusian players from entering in the import draft. Michigan, MSU and Vermont were all in on Levshunov.
3. My best guess as to why Levshunov ultimately chose Michigan State is due to both playing time and development. If not the CHL, he wants to choose the best place for him to develop. Nightingale's work at the NTDP speaks for itself. MSU also has a lot of gaps to fill in its roster than Michigan does. Michigan has four players who can be top-pair defensemen and five guys who can get top-four minutes.
4. Levshunov is likely going to be a top-10 NHL pick in 2024. Corey Pronman (The Athletic) has him going No. 7 and Chris Peters (FloSports) has him No. 3 overall.

Levshunov joins a blue line consisting of second-round pick Maxim Štrbák (BUF), sixth-round pick Viktor Hurtig (NJD) and seventh-round pick David Gucciardi (WSH).

My story:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News