ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Rison (you heard it here first)

jim comparoni

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
Well, actually I don't know if someone already said this, but if not, remember this somewhat-bold prediction from myself:

First the background.

Hunter Rison was extremely impressive on Sunday at RCS Camp Series Cleveland.

We knew he had an MSU offer. That's, of course, almost always a dead giveaway that a guy can play. But he was even better than I expected, and I think Matt and Rico felt the same way. He's quick, strong, agile, fundamentally-sharp.

I remember seeing Macgarrett Kings when he was a senior at MSU's camp. I think Hunter, as a rising junior, is ahead of where Kings was. I haven't seen Hunter in pads yet, but I suspect he will prove to be similar to Mac Kings.

Everyone is going to want to compare him to Andre. That's almost unfair, other than the fact that they are indeed comparable. But for now, I'd like to compare his skill and progress from this point forward to Kings. I'm open to change that at some point.

When talking about Rison with some people after the camp, I thought through it, and how impressed I was with him, and I started to think that he might be too impressive for MSU's own good. (Not that MSU is going to be poor at the WR position), but I think Rison might be real good, like Alabama good. And many of you might know that Nick Saban was the lead recruiter for Andre Rison. Legend has it that Saban secured Andre's commitment after a late night of talking (and drinking beer) with Andre's grandmother in her garage.

I told Amie that Saban might not realize it yet, but he's going to do whatever he did to get Mark Ingram and mobilize that force to do it again with another MSU/Flint legacy.

I thought this was an original thought.

But then I went back over my video interview with Hunter Rison, and when I asked him what camps he plans to attend this summer, he said MSU, Sound Mind Sound Body and the Alabama camp.

Sometimes I'm not very good at absorbing answers during interviews, as I'm trying to think of ways to end an interview or racking my brain to try to find another question or two. Anyway, I didn't remember hearing that part about Alabama. (Or maybe it registered and I didn't realize how). Anyway, I guess it wasn't an original thought to predict that Alabama is going to be a part of this race. I'm just not sure if Alabama is aware yet how much they're going to like him. And that's probably not great news for MSU. But we'll see.

Anyway. You may have heard it here first: MSU is going to get a tussle from Alabama for Hunter Rison.

My interview with Hunter Rison will run later today here on SpartanMag

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News