ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting conversation with two um fans

eric2015

All-Hannah
Gold Member
Feb 11, 2002
I was at my oft frequented watering hole yesterday, chit chatting with the good looking girl behind the bar, just waiting on a couple friends to show up when a guy wearing a um cap sits down a couple stools from me. I was gong to comment on the cap, but he was into his beer and watching golf, so I kept my attention on the bartender. A few minutes later a guy sits in between um hat and myself. Apparently the new guy and um hat are co-workers and start chatting about stuff I really didn't care about, so my attention continued to remained squarely on the bartender.

A few minutes passed, another beer downed, I now hear the two talking um football. Now my attention leaves the bartender and gravitates to the two sitting to my left. When there was a break in their conversation, I interject and said, oh you guys are um fans, I thought that was a Missouri cap you were wearing. The two chuckled and at that point I told them I was a Spartan.

The game was officially on.

Now, these two guys actually did graduate from um, but other than that, they checked every stereotypical characteristic of um fan. With a giant check in the delusional box. The first thing out of their mouths when I told them I was a Spartan fan was how MSU has had a nice run but that's over with Harbaugh now at um. I asked them if they actually believed that or if they just were hoping things would get better with JH? You would have thought I had just called their mothers whores and their fathers pedophiles. For the next five minutes, the two, simultaneously, and with great passion and fury, tell me how Harbaugh is the greatest coach, not just in America, but the world. And I'm not embellishing, that is a quote. They went on to tell me how JH was going to make um elite again. I asked, when was um ever elite, in the days before face masks? At this point they start spewing stuff about Bo, and all his Big Ten championships. I mentioned that Bo's record in bowls and v top ten teams was HORRIBLE. I was then informed that Bo was only concerned with winning the Big Ten. I said OK boys, that's great, but winning the Big Ten doesn't get a program to elite status. I also went on to say that their opinion of um football is what makes me laugh so hard at the um fan base. I raised my hand as high as I could and said, you boys think the um program is here, then I lower my hand about halfway, and said, when in reality, from a historic standpoint, it's here. Their response was, at least we have high expectations.

At some point during our "conversation" I noticed everyone in the bar had moved away from us, including the bartender and my friends (who apparently had come in without me noticing).

The verbal sparring went on for a solid hour and a half at varying decimal levels. I had them check my facts on their smart phones no less than 10 times. I think I was 9 out of 10. By the end, they both admitted that it goes in cycles, that both programs have been up and down and MSU is currently up. Then they bought me a beer. At that point, I gave each one my business card, and said if Harbaugh turns um around, and wins a Big Ten championship, feel free to call and give me as much sh-t as you want.

All and all, a fun afternoon. Although I'm fairly certain I have zero chance with that cute bartender now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News