ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Dantonio: It's about time...

DesertGreen

All-'52 Pony Backfield
Aug 17, 2001
Cave Creek, AZ
Remember when Purdue and Boston College used to win key recruits from us? And Iowa, and even Illinois at times?

I wanted to post a few things about Mark Dantonio, and invite fellow Spartans to do the same:

Thank you LAKS, Mark Hollis, Tom Izzo, and team for getting MD to EL. Brilliant. It all starts with leadership, as it ALWAYS does.

Thank you sounds so flat, so underwhelming, for what I feel about HOW MD and staff have done things. I know just how much it's meant to so, so many Spartans. There are certain elements--worth expressing--that have brought joy and additional meaning to the already special privilege of being a Spartan. And I want to live in this moment, and celebrate MD and staff, for some of those that have stood out to me.
Share yours...

Memorably:

• This Staff actually cares about our student athletes. Family. I always felt being a Spartan was all for one/one for all. This program is all about that.
  • Toughness, grit. Physical play. Historically, we excel when we get brutal, and just out-tough people. Pound Green, Pound.
  • Michigan. How many of us have been waiting our whole lives to hear MD say and DO the things he's said and done to UM!? It's not over, it's just getting started...I'm telling them...they can print that crap, and put it all over their locker room...I'm going to be the Coach here for a long time...it'll never be over...we shoved it, it got shoved...where's the threat...
  • R-E-S-P-E-C-T: Is there anyone in football, who doesn't have tons of respect, for the way we go about our business?
  • Little Giants, Rocket, Mousetrap, etc. etc. Cool as the other side of the pillow (RIP Stuart Scott). Go back and watch him call that play against ND. No time-out, no animated conversation with the box, nothing. Just like buying a gallon of milk. Then boom.
  • Tradition. Welcoming back past players in droves, pushing for the facilities we needed, honoring traditions.
  • Most important of all--the vision, the belief, the confidence to KNOW we were going to Pasadena, to KNOW we would be a BIG championship team, to KNOW we would make Michigan sorry they ever heard the name Mark Dantonio, etc.
I wish I had enough words, for how I feel about what he's done.

And finally, this: I know Nick Saban is a great football coach. Can't argue that. Yet, why isn't what MD is doing at MSU vs. what Saban did getting more play? Friendships, relationships, etc. I know.
But, how can anyone objectively conclude anything other than MD is blowing Saban's doors off? Better yet, why aren't they talking about it? This is no small deal, and MD is killing Saban. And building momentum.

Just b/c MD isn't Calipari in front of the media doesn't mean squat. I LOVE how he is. He's perfect. No missed opportunities, nothing less than fully purposeful. LOVE it. Tom Osborne was pretty damn good as a head coach, but didn't "win" his press conferences.

Just saying, this MD is an ALL TIME GREAT in the BIG, and potentially nationally. Why not, at this point?

And finally, it's fascinating to me to watch games from past years. You can SEE how much better they've gotten, every single year: talent, confidence, execution, grit, coaching. It's EVIDENT. Makes you wonder what the ceiling is. I don't know, but I do know we've not reached it yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News