ADVERTISEMENT

Mel Tucker today at the MHSFCA convention ...

jim comparoni

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
I just watched Mel Tucker speak at the Michigan High School Football Coaches Association convention at the Lansing Center. I've been to a number of these things and have seen a number of head and assistant coaches speak over the years and I thought Tucker was pretty darn good today.

He touched on the same things that were reported of his speech at the national convention in San Antonio earlier this week, but when seeing him deliver the speech live, he came through with great energy. This was the most energetic I've ever seen him speak. I thought he was captivating, entertaining while being tough and "old school" in delivering his message, and drew laughter two or three times, like when he voiced his dismay for players wanting to be decorated with towels and multiple wrist bands and how that is not allowed in his program. I thought he was quite good, as coach speaking engagements go.

I don't have video of his speech. The audio in the building wasn't conducive to video sound bites.

But we did get a chance to interview Tucker in the hallway outside of the speaking area and we will have video of that posted shortly.

I asked Tucker about Quavaris Crouch. He said Crouch is "on the mend," and indicated that he is expected to be part of the team for 2022.

He said a schedule for spring practice, including a date for the spring game, will likely be released next week.

As for the defensive assistant coaching position, he said he isn't able to provide any further information about the hiring at this time.

He confirmed that Harlon Barnett will oversee the secondary in 2022 and he will provide assistance in that area.

Jim Harbaugh was scheduled to be at the event for a "meet and greet" this afternoon, but I heard rumblings that he wasn't going to be there.

Michigan State assistant coaches have delivered X's and O's positional talks at this event in the past but it looks like this year Ross Els is the only Spartan assistant scheduled to speak at the event.

Nick Saban is doing a Q&A via Zoom from Alabama today. He was originally scheduled to be at the event in person but had to cancel and stay home.

Tennessee head coach Josh Huepel spoke last night.

Ferris State Tony Annese spoke before Tucker today.

Most of the speakers are high school coaches in the smaller rooms.

Tucker video will be posted shortly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News