ADVERTISEMENT

OC Nominations

strategic100

All-Skiles
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
OH
I don't think this will ever happen given the recent history. But I thought I would put this topic out there. I think it is especially relevant given OSUs destruction of Michigan.

Frankly, the evidence has been mounting since 2014 that entropy has again entered CFBs elite programs. Gus Malzahn was 2-2 against Saban at that point. He then hired Lane Kiffin to update Alabama’s offense and included more spread sets and up-tempo pacing. The writing was on the wall. Alabama has evolved and recruited players to become an offensive juggernaut. When Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly endured a 4-8 season in 2016 in his seventh year with the Fighting Irish, he hired 33 year old Chip Long from the Petrino tree. The hiring paid off for Kelly. Notre Dame is 22-3 since Long became offensive coordinator.

My nomination is David Yost, a familiar face and finalist for the Broyles Award. Utah State is sixth in the nation with 35 plays of 35 yards or longer. 16th in yards per rush. 2nd in total scoring. Comp's comments are below from the Pre-Snap.

https://media.deseretdigital.com/file/2d3fff2574?resize=width_1200&type=jpg&c=6&a=e0717f4c

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2018/10/19/utah-state-oc-david-yost/

Comp's Pre-Snap Read: MSU vs Utah State
"With Utah State, I doubt we’ll see many changes. They’ll run their inside zone, they’ll work the QB read, and the RPO. I expect them to remain who they are. Offensive coordinator David Yost is a colorful cat who looks more like a stunt double for Jeff Daniels’ bushy-blonde character in “Dumb and Dumber” than a football coach. I try not to judge anyone by their looks. But I like this guy's style. He’s certainly wise and well-credentialed when it comes to this sport.

His background:

* 2017: OC at Utah State
* 2016: pass game coordinator and QBs coach for Mark Helfrich at Oregon.
* 2013-15: Inside WRs coach for Mike Leach at Washington State.
* 2009-2012: OC for Gary Pinkel at Missouri.

He was credited with developing a great run of QBs at Missouri (Brad Smith, Chase Daniel, Blaine Gabbert) when zone read spread was in its infancy. So this guy feels confident in his chalk."

Reactions: LeeGaus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News