ADVERTISEMENT

Possible solutions for traffic and parking issues at Spartan Games?

Garyfr

All-Flintstone
Gold Member
Jul 21, 2001
I unfortunately do not live in Michigan anymore but continue to hear about problems with traffic and parking when going to games at Spartan Stadium. Alan Haller has said he wants to listen to the fans on issues like this. What are some solutions that you would suggest to solve some of these issues. Some thoughts to consider:

1. Time changes for access to campus before games. 5 hours or 7:00 AM for a noon game, which is the current time that you can get on campus seems to be pretty reasonable. If I was a student I would not want people on campus at 6:00 AM. Perhaps for later games you could change to 6:00 hours before game time. However that does not help with the egress issue after the game.

2. Create remote parking lots that allow more people to park outside of the central campus area and build a train or bus route to transport people to the central campus. Maybe these lots could be situated close to 27, 69 or 96. Are there existing lots that could be used such as Meridian Mall or other large lots that could be used for this purposes. Could you build a light rail from Lansing Airport to Old Town Lansing then to the State Capital and down Grand River to East Lansing that would move a lot of people from expanded parking at the Airport to a stop near the Stadium. Do any of you have any suggestions on transit alternatives. If we ever do get an infrastructure bill in Washington this is the type of thing that might be done. Maybe a light rail could be extended east to Okemos/Meridian near parking.

3. Any other suggestions for ways to improve the access and egress from campus?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News