Pre-Snap Read: MSU vs Maryland

jim comparoni

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
Pre-Snap Read: MSU vs Maryland

ew4h7nopmevbft4vbxtz

By Jim Comparoni
Publisher, SpartanMag.com

EAST LANSING - The consolation after last week’s loss at Ohio State was the idea that Michigan State can and should win the last two games and get to 9-3.

A lot of people, including myself, are talking about 9-3 like it’s almost a done deal.

Well, it’s not.

Maryland isn’t as bad as they played last week against Michigan. They had a fifth-string QB last week, and he wasn’t capable of throwing.

They should have Max Bortenschlager back at QB this week. He began the year as a fourth-string QB but he is decently functional. He has started five games. He is 2-3 as a starter with wins over Indiana and Minnesota.

I suspect if you polled Indiana players as to which team is better, Maryland or Michigan State, you might get a 50-50 split.

I think Indiana d-linemen would tell you that Maryland’s run game is better than Michigan State’s.

As good as MSU’s WRs are, I think Indiana CB Rashard Fant would tell you that no one for Michigan State is as good as Maryland WR D.J. Moore.

Maryland’s defensive front is active and sturdy. I have questions about the way they fill their linebackers. And they are bad on third down because their pass rush is not good and you can plan for man-to-man coverage.

But your QB needs to be accurate.

The weather man says (in my George Kell voice) it’s going to be about 39 degrees and raining throughout the game.

I hate that for the fans. Snowfall would be better. There’s not much worse than 30s and rain. But Mark Dantonio said on his radio show last night that he wants Michigan State fans to “gear up” and show up. They need it, for senior day.

This is not a lead-pipe cinch victory.

FINAL ANALYSIS FIRST

Michigan State was terrible against the run last week against Ohio State. Like I said in the Skull Session, when going back over the film, I didn’t think Michigan State was physically manhandled or athletically blown out.

I thought Michigan State had problems with misalignment way too often. Too often with five guys in three gaps on one side of the line, and two guys in four gaps on the other side.

Dantonio said there were problems getting calls in, getting calls relayed, problems with the tempo that they didn’t expect.

It led to “being out-flanked” as Dantonio said.

That’s a good term. It’s a macro term. On more of a mico level, the simplest way I can say it is five guys in three gaps over here and three guys trying to cover four or five gaps over there.

Sometimes Ohio State scooped or reached Michigan State d-linemen and carved them out of a gap (which was the case on the first long TD run of 47 yards).

Dantonio felt OSU moved the line of scrimmage vs Michigan State defensive tackles. He felt Michigan State didn’t play double-teams on the inside zone “as well as they had (in other games).” I would agree with that but when I watched it again, Michigan State wasn’t as weak in that area as I expected. And like I said in the V-Cast, Mike Panasiuk was solid all game long.

Raequan Williams gave up a foot or two a few more times than usual. And Kyonta Stallworth was not good enough. So the film work and realization will be good for those guys. And this weeks marks the next challenge, because Maryland will challenge you with a good inside zone run game.

Michigan State needs to stop the inside zone, like they did against Western Michigan, Northwestern and several teams since then. Last week’s game should help Michigan State focus on the task of stopping the run this week. Michigan State is having its manhood challenged this week and I expect the run defense to respond.

Maryland ran the ball better against Indiana than Michigan State did. And they ran it a little better against Michigan than Michigan State did (although Michigan called off the dogs).

Maryland’s Rushing Offense:

180 vs Michigan

167 vs Rutgers

174 vs Indiana

143 vs Wisconsin

85 vs Northwestern

50 vs Ohio State

262 vs Minnesota

* The trend: Maryland has settled in as a rushing offense that gets somewhere between 150 and 175 against solid Big Ten teams.

* Their run game is heavy on inside zone, with little RBs squirting around with toughness, kind of like Western Michigan or Minnesota. Michigan State has matched up well against these type of run games.

After last week’s OSU film, Maryland will have some belief that they can do the same vs Michigan State. Meanwhile, Michigan State will be out to re-prove their manhood.

The good news for Michigan State: Maryland isn’t as varied as Ohio State (and of course not as talented).

Maryland doesn’t feature the QB run in the offense when Bortenschlager is the QB (but they do feature it when Brand is the QB because that’s about all he can do).

But they vary it a little bit with quick-action pull guards on counters.

* Maryland CAN go uptempo. From what I’ve seen, they prefer to do it in the red zone. But they can go to it at anytime, and they do it pretty well.

After seeing MSU’s struggles with it last week, Maryland will certainly test Michigan State with it this week.

Overall, Maryland’s run game is pretty good. Their QB, if it’s Bortenschlager, is functional, probably a little better right now than Iowa’s QB was in early October, a little better than Michigan’s O’Korn. He’s not bad, and his WRs run better routes than what O’Korn had to work with. Maryland’s WRs are better-coached than Michigan’s; they run tricky routes with slippery moves at the top of their routes.

Maryland can contain a one-dimensional run game. If Michigan State runs 70 pct of the time like they did against Indiana, they could get into a struggle in this game.

Maryland doesn’t have a good pass rush. Brian Lewerke will have time to throw and avenues to throw. If he’s good-to-solid, Michigan State should be okay.

But don’t miss field goals, like you did against Northwestern. Don’t give Maryland a blocked punt and a blocked PAT like they had against Indiana. Don’t allow strange, game-changing plays on special teams, and you should be okay.

But it’s going to take 60 minutes of football to win. Michigan State struggled with Indiana, ended up struggling with Minnesota. Maryland is in a similar category. Michigan State was capable of losing to Indiana and, as it turned out, Michigan State had some scares with Minnesota. If Michigan State doesn’t improve and build upon what they established and learned in the last three weeks against Northwestern, Penn State and Ohio State, then they could find themselves in another struggle.

But I think Michigan State will be recollected and aimed for a strong senior day showing.

REASONS FOR MSU TO BE CONCERNED:

* Wide receiver DJ Moore is truly outstanding. Michigan State had trouble late in the game with Minnesota’s top WR, couldn’t get a handle on him. Moore is better.

* Maryland’s run game is good. Not great. But good.

Probably better than Northwestern’s because I think their inside zone blocking is better than Northwestern’s, although Maryland’s RBs aren’t as good as NU’s Justin Jackson.

* Maryland ranks No. 2 in the Big Ten in turnover margin at +4.

* Maryland ranks No. 5 in the Big Ten in rushing offense at 173.3 yards per game and No. 4 in the Big Ten in yards per carry average at 4.6.

* Maryland is ranked No. 4 in the Big Ten in scoring offense (however just No. 11 in total offense.)

This quote from Indiana coach Tom Allen after the Hoosiers’ 42-39 loss to Maryland three weeks ago:

“I will say this, I will be very transparent: What they do, and what they did last year, it stresses our athleticism in spots. It does. And they have a lot of speed. You try your best to protect that without exposing guys. Sometimes that holds up and sometimes it doesn’t.

“But they run the ball so well that you have to make sure you get enough hats on the run.

“To me it’s a matter of them isolating some guys and the other guys won those one-on-ones. I just know that their speed makes it hard us and that’s just being honest.”

* Maryland has a penchant for making big plays on special teams.

* The Terps rank No. 3 in the Big Ten in kickoff return average and No. 3 in the Big Ten in punt return average.

WHERE MARYLAND IS WEAK:

* Third-down defense and third-down offense. Dead last in the Big Ten in both categories.

* Their injuries at QB obviously hurts them on third down.

* On defense, they are allowing teams to convert 49 pct on third down. (By familiar comparison Michigan State is No. 7 at 33 pct. And MSU’s offense is No. 3 in the Big Ten on third down at 41 pct, and had been No. 1 in the nation in third-and-eight or more prior to last week).

On defense, they are hurt by a lack of pass rush. They have only six sacks in Big Ten games, dead last in the conference (Michigan State has 16, tied for seventh).

[Maryland has 15 sacks on the year overall, ranked No. 12 in the Big Ten.]

* Pass defense: No. 13 in the Big Ten at 247 yards per game, having allowed a conference-high 20 TD passes.

* No. 14 in the Big Ten in pass efficiency defense.

* Maryland dead last in scoring defense in the Big Ten at 36.2 points per game.

WHERE MSU CAN HAVE SUCCESS:

* Offensive balance. Need to probe the run, as much as that irks people, to get the attention of linebackers and safeties for your pass game. But don’t spend all day trying to establish the run. There’s a delicate balance there.

Michigan spent a drive or two with mediocre results in the interior run game but eventually got it on track, and set up play-action passing with it.

Michigan State is not run blocking as well as Michigan right now. Michigan went with heavy formations and was dedicated to making it work.

Michigan State will do some of that, but I doubt Michigan State will want to try to make an afternoon out of it. Need balance.

* Michigan State should have time to throw. MSU’s pass protection failed last week against a good, charged-up OSU pass rush. Maryland’s pass rush is not good. Michigan State has been working all week with last week’s humbling experience in mind. That means they will be working to try to get up to the OSU level. That should yield quality pass pro this week. That’s the way this stuff usually works in college football.

* Maryland plays a lot of man-to-man, probably too much.

They blitz a lot on third down but still have trouble getting home. That leaves their man-to-man out to dry.

The combination of play-action passing on first or second down, and picking up blitzes on third down SHOULD give QB Brian Lewerke open avenues with which to work.

Lewerke’s ability to flush out and elongate plays and continue to read downfield also matches up well with this team that has a substandard pass rush, merely average pass defense and then ocasionally-shaky tackling in the secondary.

MARYLAND THUS FAR:

* Maryland is 4-6 overall and 2-5 in the Big Ten.

* After getting off to a 3-1 start, including a win over Texas, injuries at the QB position and a leaky defense has sunk the Terps’ season onto the bowl game ropes.

The results:

Maryland 51, Texas 41

Maryland 63, Towson 17

Central Florida 38, Maryland 10

Maryland 31, Minnesota 24

Ohio State 62, Maryland 14

Northwestern 37, Maryland 21

* The Wildcats rushed for 238 and passed for 293. That’s the type of balance Michigan State can and should aim for in this game.

Wisconsin 38, Maryland 13

Maryland 42, Indiana 39

Rutgers 31, Maryland 24

Michigan 35, Maryland 10.

LAST WEEK: Lost to Michigan, 35-10

* Trailed 28-0 at halftime.

* Maryland outscored Michigan 10-7 in the second half. Some think Harbaugh throttled back against his former defensive coordinator, DJ Durkin, who is now in his second year as head coach of the Terps.

* Maryland ended up out-gaining Michigan 340-305.

* Maryland averaged 5.6 yards per rush, Michigan averaged 4.2.

Durkin on Michigan game:

“You saw us in the second half finally take a deep breath and play good football,” Durkin said. “We’re a team still trying to find ourself. Last week, we started a fifth-string quarterback against one of the best teams in the country and there was some tentativeness, like, ‘Can we do this? Is this actually going to work?’ We finally gained some (belief) and just played, but you can’t do it that way. So we’re a team in the process of learning and growing.

“I love our team. I love where we’re at. There’s a lot of talent and a lot of guys that will continue to be part of this program moving forward that I think we can win a lot of games with.

“There was no yelling and screaming in the locker room at halftime. It was just, ‘Okay, are you ready to stop shooting ourselves in the foot and just play our game?’ And a credit to our guys, they went out and did that in the second half.”

VS INDIANA, three weeks ago:

* Indiana out-gained Maryland 483-345, and had a 35-18 edge in first downs.

* “We made too many mistakes to beat Big Ten team on the road,” said Indiana coach Tom Allen. “You lose by three and you get a punt blocked and give up a 70-yard kickoff return that ends up in points.”

* OUT OF WHACK STAT: Early in the fourth quarter, Indiana was 10-of-18 on third down; Maryland was 2-of-6.

Maryland was living on big plays and leading 35-33 at the time. Indiana was controlling the ball and scoring, but not enough.

OTHER STUFF

The game will be televised by Fox at 4 pm. Former Spartan golfer Holly Sonders is the sideline correspondent.

* Maryland beat Michigan State 28-17 last year. Michigan State led 17-14 before former Maryland QB Perry Hills led TD drives of eight and 10 plays to rally the Terps to victory.

Maryland rushed for 247 yards.

* Maryland has started four different QBs this season, with Ryan Brand getting his first start last week against Michigan.

* Maryland has won games with three different QBs this year: Pigrome, Hill and Bortenschlager.

INDIANA PERSONNEL

QUARTERBACK

* Sophomore Kasim Hill and freshman Tyrrell Pigrome each went down with knee injuries early in the year.

QB 18 MAX BORTENSCHLAGER (6-3, 211, Soph.)

* Inconsistent. Not bad at times, but sprays it inaccurately at times, like a third-and-seven open hitch vs Indiana in the 2Q on third down. After that one, he came to the sideline and threw some practice passes.

* Got caught starting down a receiver and not going through route progression to an open sit-down route during a sack late in the Indiana game when Maryland could have iced the game with a first down.

* Five starts this year. Is 2-3 as a starter.

* Began the year as third-string QB.

* Was a two-star recruit, unranked out of Indianapolis Cathedral.

* Had two MAC offers. Committed a few days before signing day.

* Sat out the Michigan game with an undisclosed injury.

* Maryland coach DJ Durkin said Bortenschlager will start against Michigan State “if he’s healthy.”

“I anticipate he’ll be ready to go,” Durkin said.

* Went down with an undisclosed injury during a 31-24 loss to Rutgers on Nov. 4.

* 88 of 172 passes for 1,007 yards with 10 TDs and 5 INTs this year.

* Maryland has won two of his three starts this year: at Minnesota on Sept. 30 and at home against Indiana on Oct. 28.

* Was 10 of 16 for 171 yards with 2 TD and 1 INT passes in win over Indiana.

* Passed for 255 yards and 3 TD passes against Northwestern.

* Made first start of season at Minnesota, going 18 of 28 with three TDs.

“Max is calm and tough and executes well for us and communicates well,” Durkin said. “He improves each game. He has really taken ownership of the job.”

* INT on deep pass, first pass attempt of game vs Indiana, left a deep fade short.

QB RYAN BRAND (S5-11, 182, Soph., Detroit Jesuit)

* Began the season as the No. 5 QB.

* Went 16 of 35 for 136 yards and 1 TD against Michigan.

* Walk-on.

* Began his career as a scholarship player at Air Force.

* Was 8 of 12 for 68 yards against Rutgers in relief.

* Threw a game-tying TD pass late in the Rutgers game but it was called back for holding.

QB CALEB HENDERSON (6-3, 225, Jr., Burke, Va.)

* Transfer from North Carolina.

* Played a little bit against Ohio State.

* Is listed No. 2 this week, behind Bortenschlager.

* Has had lingering ankle injuries.

WIDE RECEIVERS

* 104 of Indiana’s 141 receptions are funneled to only two guys No. 1 (Moore) and No. 12 (Jacobs)

++ 15-yard TD pass to Jacobs vs Indiana was a quality pass play. Jacobs was in the slot, ran a slant-and-go with a wiggle to the post at the top of the route. Off of play action, sucked the safety in. Good route. Good zip on the ball, good pass, accurate. Good football.

* Maryland WRs get you with slippery, subtle little double-moves. They just kind of bend and twist them upfield while getting depth and speed.

WR 1 DJ MOORE (5-11, 215, Jr., Philadelphia)

* Was a four-star recruit, ranked No. 6 in Pennsylvania.

* Was a July commitment. Michigan State took a long look at him. He aimed to impress Michigan State coaches at Detroit Sound Mind Sound Body Camp but did not get offered.

* Had offers from BC, Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, Pitt, Virginia, but not a great list for a four-star guy who has become one of the best in the Big Ten. He was available. But Michigan State has done pretty well with its WR recruiting in the meantime.

* Leads the Big Ten with 64 catches.

* Leads the Big Ten in TD catches with 8 and receiving yards with 857.

* Had five receptions against Michigan.

* Has receptions in 31 straight games.

* Great hands, runs great routes. That’ll do it.

“He made a phenomenal catch on Rashard (Fant) in the first half that set up one of their touchdowns,” said Indiana coach Tom Allen.

That was a deep go route for about 35 yards on a deep go route. Good ball from Bortenschlager from the right hash to the left corner, good air - not too much - good zip, not too much. Good football.

++ Crazy good timing to high point the ball and snatch it for corner fade 5-yard TD vs Indiana’s ant to put Maryland up 28-23.

* As a receiver, Moore is like Darrell Stewart, but more slippery and crazy-good hands, plus timing to high-point and snatch it.

Said BTN’s Glen Mason: “They have good players, they just don’t have an abundance of them. Teams know that the ball is going to DJ Moore and they still don’t stop him.”

What’s he’s good at:

* Terrific tight square-in route at about 7 yards, going HIGH for the catch over the middle and going the distance for a 20-yard TD.

TAIVON JACOBS (5-11, 170, Sr.)

* Has scored a TD in four of his last five games.

* Has 15 catches for 189 yards in the last two weeks.

* Has 40 catches on the year for 482 yards and 5 TDs.

RUNNING BACKS

6 TY JOHNSON (5-10, 208, Jr.)

* Rushed for 67 yards against Michigan.

* Became the 13th player in Maryland history to surpass the 2,000-yard career mark last week.

RB 2 LORENZO HARRISON (5-8, 195, Soph.)

* Has rushed for at least 60 yards in four straight weeks.

* Had 81 yards rushing against Michigan.

* Is averaging 5.3 yards per carry over the last four games.

* Quick little squatty guy with acceleration.

RB 34 Jake Funk (5-11, 202)

* A pretty good short-yardage, downhill slant guy. Has four TDs.

TE 48 DERRICK HAYWARD (6-5, 240, Sr.)

- Didn’t give good effort vs Indiana DE inside their own 5-yard line, resulting in RB Ty Johnson getting tackled in end zone for safety. Indiana led 16-7.

OFFENSIVE LINE

* I think pass pro looks pretty good on the left side.

* Zone blocking inside in the ground game is good, above average. Little RBs hide and squirt around pretty well on the inside zone.

* Maryland has allowed 26 sacks, tied for 12th worst in the Big Ten.

++ The LT/LG combination of 55 Gray and 70 Christie got great movement on Indiana DT on an inside zone to cave the line of scrimmage for RB Lorenzo Harrison’s 14-yard TD run in the 1Q. (Jacob Robinson was the DT for Indiana on that play, 6-4, 285. Robinson isn’t bad).

++ And 70 and center 64 did it to Robinson during a crucial TD drive early in the QB in the red zone.

LT 55 DERWIN GRAY (6-5, 330, Jr.)

+ Moves his feet well, good size, but was beaten on a fast bull rush by Rashan Gary on third down in the first quarter last week.

LG SEAN CHRISTIE (6-4, 305, Jr.)

* Solid, not great. Got buckled a couple of times by Indiana’a Nate Hoff, but Hoff is pretty good.

C 64 BRENDAN MOORE (6-3, 302, Jr.)

* Lively.

* Solid player. Was solid against Hoff, too.

RG:

No opinion.

RT 58 DAMIAN PRINCE (6-3, 315, Jr.)

* Lacks range, and looked that way when giving up an edge rush sack in 1Q vs Indiana.

MARYLAND DEFENSE

* They have pretty good athletes in the front seven and they give effort. They have a high-energy second-year head coach who is a d-coordinator by trade and he has the front seven playing hard.

* Their weakness is in the pass rush and third down defense (which go together).

* Maryland rush defense is a strange study. They rank No. 12 in the Big Ten in rushing defense, allowing 173 yards per game.

* Maryland is 4-0 when holding teams under 100 yards rushing (beating Texas, Towson, Minnesota and Indiana).

* They held Indiana to 2.1 yards per rush.

Yards Allowed By Maryland:

Michigan rushed for 160

Rutgers … 239

Indiana … 73

Wisconsin … 215

Northwestern … 238

Ohio State … 281

Minnesota … 80

* The trend: Maryland gives up 215-plus against good-to-fair rushing attacks (Rutgers, Northwestern). But Maryland stopped Indiana and Minnesota cold. (Note, Indiana was without its two two RBs).

* My observation: The Terps aren’t consistently bad in run defense. It’s not like every play, every team carves them up. They are just badly inconsistent.

I’m not surprised they were able to stack up Indiana and Minnesota for little rushing yardage. Their d-linemen aren’t bad against the run. Their DTs are somewhat firm.

Their d-line personnel is full of guys like Demetrius Cooper and Kevin Williams (the Nebraska grad transfer who played for Michigan State last year). Not bad players, but not play-making plus players.

They don’t get owned at the line of scrimmage.

From what I can see, their problem in run defense is at linebacker. Their linebackers aren’t bad players, but the scheme calls for them to read and jump gaps and try to figure out where the play is going rather than playing one-gap and attacking upfield accordingly.

It’s okay to ask LBs to read and react in a two-gap scheme if the d-line is dominating. Maryland’s d-line is respectable, but not dominant.

Maryland does a lot of two-gapping up front. Their d-linemen aren’t bad, but they aren’t the type to dominate and move the line of scrimmage backward and command double-teams like needed from a two-gap scheme. When two-gapping, those guys are supposed to be knocking their man backward and giving the LBs a chance to pick and choose wisely.

* You Would Hope … that Michigan State is in the good-to-fair category and can rush for 200-plus. But there isn’t much in recent weeks to suggest that Michigan State is in that category.

Perhaps Michigan State can pass to set up the run and find success that way.

I will be interested to see if the toss sweep or jet shovel works against Maryland. It didn’t work against the speed of Ohio State and Penn State. And it didn’t work against Northwestern with their strong d-ends setting the edge. Michigan State figured that would be the case and didn’t try it very much. There’s a chance it could work better in this game, although not as good as it did against Minnesota.

* Maryland allowed 410 yards passing to Indiana. (Starter Peyton Ramsey was knocked out of the game and Richard Lagow replaced him and threw for 131 of the 410).

WHAT MICHIGAN DID:

* Michigan came out and tried to hammer the run on the opening drive. Michigan had a little bit of early success, but not much, with net gains on the ground of 4, 6, 2, 3 and 3 yards before an incompletion caused a punt.

The Takeaway: Maryland is supposed to have a bad rushing defense, and Michigan tried to test it. But Maryland passed the opening drive test.

In Michigan’s second drive, they hit inside ground attempts for gains of 3, 13, 9, 13, 3 and 2 (TD).

* Rutgers caught Maryland in a blitz and hit them with a flare route to the RB for a 23-yard TD pass to break a 24-24 tie with 7:30 left.

DEFENSIVE LINE:

* They lost standout d-end Jesse Aniebonam for the year to an ankle injury in the season opener against Maryland. He had 11 sacks last year.

They don’t have much depth at d-end and have had to shuffle guys around to try to make up for his loss.

* Their d-linemen didn’t get crushed by Michigan’s onslaught of interior runs in the first quarter, but they didn’t win, either. They barely held somewhat firm, but they certainly didn’t penetrate or push back any o-linemen.

* Sometimes they are a 30 front, sometimes a 4-3.

* Sometimes one-gapping, sometimes two-gapping.

* Sometimes two-gapping as part of four down linemen, which is rare these days (Iowa does it all the time, Miami does it some, so does Michigan).

* In order to two-gap, you need hosses. Their two-gapping d-linemen are functional but they aren’t the kind of hosses needed to enable a two-gapping scheme to work often enough. That’s probably why they don’t two-gap all the time, just some of the time at defensive tackle.

* They have solid, relatively quick, squatty tree stump type guys at d-tackle. Some teams can have trouble uprooting them.

From what we’ve seen in the last month or so from Michigan State on interior runs, there isn’t a lot of evidence that would suggest that Michigan State should have great success running inside against Maryland. If Michigan State does have success, that would be progress. It doesn’t take a great team to be able to run against Maryland. But the poor ones can’t. Where does Michigan State fit in that category? We’ll find out.

* Maryland d-tackles are solidly-built guys, playing the kind of football we expected to see from Enoch Smith.

DT 8 KINGSLEY OPARA (6-3, 300, Sr.)

* Good comb of strength and quickness. Upper body and lower body quickness.

+ Nice tackle for no gain vs Indiana in the first half. Blasted into the right guard like he was going to two-gap him, then he shucked him, got rid of him, threw him to the side and penetrated the backfield to make the wrap.

DT 5 CAVON WALKER (6-2, 278, Sr.)

* Quick with two-handed shuck when OG is expecting two-gap force.

DT 52 OLU OLUWATIMI (6-1, 198, Soph.)

* Not bad with the two-gap technique, coming off the bench.

DT 50 MBI TANYI (6-1, 296, Jr.)

* Allowed too much movement on a 9-yard TD run against Rutgers.

BUCK DE 92 CHANDLER BURKETT (6-3 ,254, Sr.)

* Will stand up in a 3-4 or play down in a 4-3.

* Runs pretty well for his size. Good job spying Indiana QB on the flush for a sack.

DE 59 Keiron Howard (6-3, 293, Soph.)

* Not bad, coming off the bench.

DE 96 Brett Kulka (6-4, 260, Jr.)

* Looks like a Brett Kulka. Ham and egger, not bad. Just kind of survives at d-end, but helps, plays a role.

LINEBACKERS

* They run and hurry around pretty well. Quickness isn’t a weakness with these guys.

MLB 1 JERMAINE CARTER (6-0, 228, Sr.)

* 6 TFLs this season.

* Plays with pop. Active, quick.

* Had 2 TFLS in victory over Indiana, and caused a fumble.

* Has 29 career TFLS, ranking No. 13 in program history.

* 8 Tackles against Michigan.

* 300 career tackles.

* Is on pace to lead Maryland in tackling for a third straight season.

* Accelerates downhill will good will, plays more firm than his size.

* Their best pass rusher. Learns the snap count, gets off the ball fast, accelerates off the edge, can chop, dip and during the corner. Had a sack vs Indiana but flagged for being off-side.

WLB 22 ISAIAH DAVIS (6-1, 238, Soph.)

* Active feet.

- Was misaligned for deep wheel route to RB by Indiana but Indiana QB missed the open receiver.

Nickel Back 25 ANTOINE BROOKS (5-11, 210, Soph.)

* He’s a “nickel back” but plays every down

* Leads team in TFLs with 8.5.

* 64 tackles on the year.

* Has two INTs.

PASS DEFENSE

* On third-and-medium, they like to blitz five, sometimes six. And it’s almost always man-to-man behind it.

Pick up that blitz and go to the shallow crossing route, or pick on a favorable matchup, or throw where the safety ain’t. Sounds simple, and it might be, if Indiana continues to be predictably man-to-man without a pass rush on third down.

SOMETHING TO WATCH FOR:

* What Michigan did: On third-and-medium, they went with shallow crossing routes. Harbaugh knows Durkin’s defense. Following his lead isn’t a bad idea.

* Durkin has been a proponent in recent years of playing cover-three in two-thirds of the field, and playing press-man in the other third. It’s a rare combination coverage.

This coverage is called “two-thirds” or “cover three lock.”

The Seattle Seahawks have done this in the past with Richard Sherman as the single man-to-man guy. NY Giants did it in 2016.

Harbaugh ran a crossing route to the man-to-man side, throwing to the TE late after he crossed to the flat, knowing there would be no one in the flat. Threw to TE Gentry for a gain of 20 to the 5-yard line to set up UM’s first TD.

The coaching manual says a three-level floor combination can beat it too, sending a receiver to the flat, a second receiver on an intermediate out, and a third receiver on a deeper out. Sounds simple, if you hae time to throw. Maryland usually gives you time to throw, that’s why they have to blitz on third downs.

DEFENSIVE BACKS

S 4 DARNELL SAVAGE (5-10, 191, Jr.)

*Quality play-maker.

+ Covers ground QUICKLY when covering the slot out.

* Blocked a punt and had an INT in the first half against Indiana that kept the Terps in the game when things didn’t start well.

* His punt block, which he scooped and scored, cut lead to 16-14.

+ Pass break up on third-and-8 on a shallow crosser for Grant Perry on the opening drive last week. Lots of early contact. Closed quickly. Could have been called pass interference.

* Can change direction, accelerate and tackle.

+ His INT vs Indiana came on a shallow crossing route in man-to-man. Returned it about 20 yards to the Indiana 14-yard line. Maryland scored on the next play to come back from a 14-0 deficit.

+ Had a pick six against Towson.

CB 17 TINO ELLIS 6-1, 193, Soph.

- Beaten deep for 34-yard TD by Simmie Cobbs of Indiana.

CB 7 JC JACKSON (6-1, 193, JR.)

* Supposed to be their best cover corner.

- Got away with pass interference in 1Q last week against Don Peoples Jones on a 15-yard curl. Jackson trying to play press, not very confident.

- Missed a tackle on Indiana RB on a swing pass, got bowled over, for a 25-yard TD pass play, giving Indiana a 14-0 lead.

(21 21 Ravon Davis, 5-10, 177, Jr.)

- Allowed 10-yard TD fade to Indiana’s Simmie Cobbs to cut Maryland’s lead to 42-39 with 8:00 to go.

S 10 JOSH WOODS (6-1, 204, Sr.)

No opinion.

But Maryland beat writer Scott Greene says he's solid.

(S 24 Quantrezz Knight 6-0, 197, Soph.)

- Beaten for 35-yard TD pass on No. 3 post bener to WR Juke Timian of Indiana, as Maryland fell behind 23-14. Not bad feet by Knight. Good pass and catch.

SPECIAL TEAMS

* Maryland has four blocked kicks this year, the most of any team in the Big Ten and No. 6 in the nation.

* Rank in top three in Big Ten in punt return average and kick return average.

* Attempted a fake punt last week against Michigan, failed, and helped cause the game to get away from the Terps.

* Allowed a blocked punt last week against Michigan.

* Blocked a punt and had a kickoff return for 70 yards against Indiana, and blocked an extra point.

* Maryland’s kickers are 7 of 12 for the year, No. 13 in the Big Ten in FG accuracy. A grad transfer from Georgetown has taken the job and is 6 of 9.

* Kickoffs reach the 5-yard line.

ADD IT ALL UP

* It’s kind of late in the season for us to waiting and wondering to see what Michigan State is made of. Some of us have already concluded that Michigan State is a good, over-achieving, 9-3 team.

Not so fast my friends. Need to get this work done. Need to avoid getting bogged down in the run, as was the case against Indiana. But need to find balance that they didn’t have against Northwestern. That’s a delicate situation for MSU’s offense.

Wide receiver DJ Moore is tough to cover, and even if you cover him, he can go up and snatch it. He can carry an offense the way the WR did for Minnesota for 8 minutes late in that game, whatever his name was. Michigan State has good, solid coverage DBs, but Moore is at another level. So you have to be concerned about his potential to catch fire if Bortenschlager is on, especially if MSU’s pass rush fails.

Overall, Michigan State has too many edges in this game, and should be fine. In the process, if Michigan State can re-establish the run game, which has been missing since October, that would not only almost ensure victory but it would be a good late-season building block, building toward a challenging road game next week and bowl season.

As for MSU’s run defense, it’s a challenge-your-manhood game. Maryland has a good inside zone scheme. Michigan State was devoured by a better one last week, and didn’t show up (in their gaps) in many respects last week. Whatever it was that caused the tardy, distracted nature of last week’s defensive debacle obviously needs to be eradicated for this game.

It’s a game. Just like I told you the Indiana game would be. Just like I told you the Northwestern game would be. Maryland is better than Indiana, not as good as Northwestern. I realize that the transitive property doesn’t pertain to college football, but Maryland has some excited kids playing for an energetic second-year coach. No one for their team is quitting. They’ll bring some effort, enthusiasm and a smattering of talent. Just ask Indiana.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News