ADVERTISEMENT

Random Thoughts

Spartan John

All-Izzo
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
1. Over the years, we and others in the media have discussed Michigan State's place in college football in general and specifically related to its traditional rivals Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio St and Penn St. I can remember reading many here and elsewhere argue that MSU was land locked by these schools and could never hope to be their equal due to structural limitations, no matter who was the head coach. As we all know by know, Mark Dantonio has and continues to dispel this myth. The question the Program is trying to answer every day is how far can it go relative to its peers? As a Program, is MSU entering a period in which it is superior to every one of its rivals except Ohio St on a long term basis? It appears that is the case. Is that dependent on Mark Dantonio or has he built an infrastructure that can thrive when he eventually leaves? I can't imagine going back to pre-2007 MSU football, just hoping to become bowl eligible.

2. I have watched the spring game a few times and I question if Tyler O'Connor is the answer at QB for 2016. The obvious problem is that even if he is, he will only be a 1 year starter. Do you want to invest the time and energy to develop him and have to turn around in 2017 and start over? Now, before the long knives come out, obviously we have to defer to the coaches who see him every day and he is probably superior to Damion Terry at this stage in their development. After not seeing how good Connor Cook would become, deference is required.

3. The problem is that the 2016 offense could resemble the 2012 offense, with a new QB and all new receivers. That threatens the consistency of the last few years. Is that just inevitable in college football? What can you do to try to prevent a huge drop in productivity after a QB and set of receivers all graduate together, as it happened in 2011 with Kirk Cousins and his receivers and will happen with Connor Cook and his after this year? I think the only answer is that 2015 has to be about preparing for 2016, more than 2011 prepared for 2012. O'Connor and Terry must see the field this fall, even if Connor Cook is the superior option. It may confuse many why MSU brings in O'Connor and/or Terry in the middle of a competitive game, when Cook has done nothing to be pulled.

4. MSU has proven it has superior coaching and can develop kids that other programs may have overlooked. Now, if a kid is being recruited by MSU, he attracts incredible attention. I wonder if that means MSU is now getting better athletes or have recruiting services and other programs now track MSU recruiting much better? It may be true that the recruiting rankings of the 2016 class will be better than its predecessors, but, does that mean MSU recruiting is now more successful than in the past or just more recognized because of the success of the Program?

5. The conventional wisdom here is that the deepest position of the 2015 team is the defensive line. While the DL is deep and could prove to be even deeper than we imagine, I am rethinking that conclusion. With Drake Martinez becoming eligible, I think the deepest position is LB. The starters appear to be Riley Bullough in the middle, flanked by Ed Davis and Damien Harris. That leaves Jon Reschke, Shane Jones, Chris Frey, TJ Harrell and Drake Martinez, among others, on the bench. That could prove to be a very deep unit. That doesn't even account for walk on Sean Harrington, who will be pushing to get on the field, as well. This could be the deepest front 7 on defense at MSU in my memory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News