ADVERTISEMENT

Reality Check

ncspartan

All-Steve Smith
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
Recruiting is not going well. It's not a disaster, but it's not good. We are reaping the fallow harvest of our 20-18 record over the last three years (the time when our current recruits have been in high school). Doom? No. Gloom? Not yet. Reality? Yes.

I'm looking at this from the viewpoint that I want our program to consistently be in the running for championships. If I was okay with winning 53% of our games, I'd be okay with competing with Purdue and Louisville for recruits. I'm not.

So for those that are ready to throw out the "star gazer" insult, throw it at Comp first. Anyone that's been on this site for any time knows that he's methodically researched the correlation between Rivals' recruiting ratings and players' chances of playing in the NFL. The correlation is there for all to see. Good, solid data.

Here's where we currently stand in recruiting compared with OSU, um and Northwestern (in that order, followed by MSU):

Committed recruits: 12, 10, 12, 7
Total Rivals stars: 46, 36, 38, 22
Average Rivals Rating: 3.8, 3.6, 3.2, 3.1

Note: I excluded unranked commits.

Objectively, our recruiting's not competitive.

I hope Salem get's the offense out of the gutter. I think he will.

I hope our defense remains stout. I think it will.

I hope that a good performance and record this year leads to an improvement in recruiting.

I hope to regain the belief that we will be good in the future instead of having to hope.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News