ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Texs and the West Coast

NBSpartan

All-Steve Smith
Aug 17, 2001
It is a lot harder than you think. I am very familiar with a recruiting situation going on right now in California. The kid in question is 6"5" and weighs 225 lbs and runs a legit 4.5/ 40. He plays on a powerhouse team. The quarterback just committed to Washington. The wide receiver who is 6"4" just committed to Stanford (he had 28 TD catches last year) and the tight end is one of the best in California and everyone is after him including Michigan( he is a legacy). They have not lost a league game in 10 years.

Well this kid didn't play football until last year and has never been to a camp. He was an outstanding basketball player and grew tired of the AAU grind. He scored 35 on his ACT and is a 4.5 student. His dad played basketball at Iowa for a couple of years and is a Dantonio fan. He belongs to my country club. My grandson plays on the freshman team ( that team is 96-4 in the last 10 years and their only losses have come from Mater Dei and J Serra) and when I saw him for the first time I said wow. They have him playing out of position at outside linebacker in a 3/4 defensive scheme. . He should be playing tight end or wide receiver but they are populated by 2 of the kids I mentioned above. This kid blankets the wide receiver going to Stanford in practice. He is the only kid in the county that can cover him.

I called Dantonio about him . MSU was on the phone the same day asking for film. The next day MSU was in contact with his coach. His dad told me there are 3 coaches from MSU calling him every week. They tried to get him back to MSU for the spring game but he had conflicts with school.

But since word has gotten out about MSU's interest all of the West Coast teams and Texas, Oklahoma and several other big time schools are after him. It is hard to get back to MSU when you have a lot of activities going on. It is at least a 4 day trip. It is easy to get up to Cal, Stanford or UCLA or USC.

Stanford offers a great opportunity for him. Harvard and Yale have told him he is their number one recruit in the country. They have told him his total cost of attendance will be leas than $8,000 a year.

In any event there is a lot of competition out there and those of you who think MSU coaches aren't working their buts off to get kids from the West Coast back to MSU are just plain wrong.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News