ADVERTISEMENT

Riep

jim comparoni

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
With Riep planning to make a decision on July 23, he plans to visit MSU next week and he is planning to attend Ohio State's Friday Night Lights, July 22.

The fact that he is planning to make a decision the day after his Fri Night Lights camp outing is leading a lot of Ohio State writers to believe that he will pick the Buckeyes the next day.

I can't say I disagree with that outlook.

He wants to make a decision on July 23, which indicates he has a strong inclination on which school he is going to pick.

Recruits to set a date like July 23 if they are still 50-50 scattered all over the place with their leanings.

If you get near signing day in January, that's a different story.

But this early, there is no real reason to give yourself a July 23 deadline, unless you have a strong idea of where you want to go.

My read is that he has a strong idea on where he wants to go.

This weekend, he is visiting Alabama.

Then MSU next weekend.

He's serious about his MSU visit, and is talking with MSU coaches about which day to make the trip. So MSU still is hanging in there to an extent, and he is still listening to them.

But my read is that with him scheduling a July 23 decision, and scheduling the final visit for OSU on July 22, I think it would be a major upset if he picked MSU over OSU at that point. (I never rule out Alabama, under any circumstances. So I would never call it a "major upset" any time Bama wins a recruiting battle).

Many coaches believe that if their school is leading, they want the last visit. OSU has the last visit. But is OSU the current leader? Only Riep knows, but most reads see the Buckeyes as the team to beat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News