ADVERTISEMENT

Scheme Thoughts at Half

glassman12

Staff
Nov 21, 2022
Ok! That was...a half. In chronological order, I had...a number of thoughts. MSU running no-huddle made it difficult to track the game's progression and take notes. I thought that the tempo with which they ran was indicative of increased organization...until the false starts happened. CMU came out and stayed in large part in a base nickel, and was indicative of their belief that they could stop the run with a light box. MSU used a lot of 2 tight-end sets, and put Carr in the slot a lot, to take advantage of matchups with a nickel or linebackers. CMU ran an insert zone play from a pistol set for a first down. Tatum played closer to the line than Brantley, even when aligned to the field. Marqui Lowery rotated in as well. MSU substituted a lot on the defensive line, with Sami and Harmon both playing extremely well against overmatched guards. MSU pulled out a QB pin and pull which got Kim to the boundary, which I had not seen from MSU before. Using Carter as a receiving threat off of motion forces a linebacker to pick through a lot of trash to cover, and was utilized effectively. On CMU's touchdown, Mangham took a pretty nasty false step that led to the touchdown. I thought Kim made a number of excellent throws on MSU's touchdown drive, but I will have to rewatch to see what happened to CMU's coverage, I wonder if tempo prevented safety rotation. In any case, he made high-leverage throws that will beat better defenders than CMU's corners. Lastly, on the last drive of the half, I think MSU may have been setting up a hook and ladder on the first shallow screen to Berger.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News