ADVERTISEMENT

OFF TOPIC: Some behind the scenes scuttlebutt at MSU

DavidHarns

All-Van Pelt
Staff
Oct 29, 2013
As I was typing that headline, I thought "do people use the word 'scuttlebutt'" anymore? I deleted it but then re-typed it again because I want to use it.

Anyway, I've had some interesting conversations lately that I wanted to fill you in on.

Nothing outrageous or scandalous but interesting anyway.

Regarding the MSU Board of Trustees

There are four major party candidates for the two open seats (former Chair Dianne Byrum isn’t running for her third term and current Chair Dan Kelly failed to win the nomination of the Republican Party).

The Republicans nominated Mike Balow (a commercial real estate professional who was also on the ballot in 2022 and almost won) and Julie Maday, a former Novi City Councilmember and conservative “Spartan Mom.”

The Democrats nominated Rebecca Bahar-Cook (East Lansing) and Tommy Stallworth (Detroit). Rebecca is a professional fundraiser and former Ingham County commissioner while Stallworth is a former legislator who worked in Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s office and other state government positions.

In these races, the down-ballot candidates do well when the top of the ticket does well. A recent MIRS poll has Michigan essentially tied at the presidential level, so expect the race for Trustee to be tight as well.

People in the know at MSU are somewhat hesitant about Mike Balow joining the board. He has a rabble-rouser reputation (that may be good or bad, depending on your point of view). He's been engaged for three years as the leader of 'Battle for Spartan Swim and Dive' and just might get his seat on the board this year.

Regardless of who wins, MSU leaders just want to go back to a time where the board was boring (and normal). We'll see what happens there.

(Please keep any discussions about this portion as apolitical as possible so as to follow the rules of the board.)

Regarding MSU President Kevin Guskiewicz (I have to Google that spelling every time)

Sources say that Kevin G is likeable and is doing a good job. There will be some leadership transitions/movement announced in the next few weeks but nothing of too much interest to sports fans.

Interestingly, I got a text recently saying that Kevin G had opened up a 360 review of AD Alan Haller. I was able to confirm that that is indeed the case but I also confirmed that it isn't likely happening for any negative reason.

This is a new approach by a new president to learn about his leadership team and where they stand. It was something that was more of a standard practice at UNC, where he came from. I don't anticipate much coming from it - but I did find it interesting.

Regarding the Renaming of Kobs Field

You're likely aware that the other Ishbia - Justin - is donating millions of dollars to the athletic department (most going to a fund under Izzo's discretion) but enough is going to baseball that Ishbia gets to name the baseball stadium after his dad. Which is cool. Unless you're the Kobs family and you weren't made aware ahead of time. That's definitely not cool. MSU seems to stumble like this, often. Unnecessarily.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.