ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts after watching Iowa vs ISU

jim comparoni

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
* ISU carved Iowa up for most of the game. I'm still not sure how Iowa survived that game, other than having an edge in turnoves.

* Iowa was not winning on defense at the line of scrimmage like they usually do. Their two-gapping wasn't as sturdy as usual. And their inside LB, No. 32, Djimon Colbert, is the worst inside LB I've ever seen for Kirk Ferentz. Not fast enough, and slow to react. Not a good combination.

* Also, Iowa gave up a long TD pass on the type of coverage bust that you NEVER see from Iowa. It looked to me like a classic case of one safety thinking they were in cover-three and the other thinking they were in cover-four.

* It's good that Matt Millen is back and recovered and doing games. He has always seemed like a good guy. But I have arrived at the unfortunate conclusion that he doesn't know much about secondary coverages. I'm not sure how that can be. But it be.

There was a time a few years ago when he was complete wrong about a throwing decision that an MSU QB made. I can't remember if it was Cousins or Cook. But he was so wrong. And then he was wrong about a few things, DBs coverage-wise, in this game, and I just can't hold my tongue about it. too bad.

* But AJ Hawk with a good job of describing how and why UNLV got out to a 65-yard TD run against Northwestern. (NW's DT gave up too much movement on a double team and NW's CB came too thin on his angle). Good job by Hawk after the commercial. The thing that sets Herbstreit apart is that he can often diagnose what went right or wrong on a play BEFORE the first replay. He saw it the first time. I don't know how he sees all 22 the way he does, so consistently.

The guy who did the MSU-ASU game with Brando, the former RB from Oklahoma, added very little insight to the cause-and-effect dynamics of the X's and O's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News