ADVERTISEMENT

Some tidbits from Coach D after the first day in pads

Ricardo Cooney

All-Van Pelt
Jan 10, 2007
Hey guys and gals, both Jim and Paul decided to take their families and run off to the woods for camping excursions this weekend so I'm providing ya'll with a brief summary of some of Coach Dantonio's comments after the first full day in pads on Friday. Please enjoy and say I did a decent job or they may never go camping again:

Eventhough MSU will release its first depth chart of the season on Monday during its annual Media Day, head coach Mark Dantonio appeared very comfortable giving the names of players who already appear well on their way to earning one of the top three spots at some of the positions.

While many names are still in contention at most of the positions after just the first week of fall camp, early mention after Monday’s first full day in pads usually signals that a player is well on his way to grabbing a spot in the three-deep.

On the defensive line other than the expected contributions from Kenny Willekes and Dillon Alexander, Dantonio said redshirt sophomore Brandon Randle “is a guy that’s a very good athlete on the edge there, (we’ll have) Coop (Demetrius Cooper) come back, and we’ll see how he’s doing, (Robert) Bowers has got playing experience, Jacub Panasiuk has been impressive for a freshman. 265 pound freshman that can move. Those guys have a motor and they bring it every play.’’

One the early development of the offensive line: “We’ve got to win up front. I think there’s no question that you’ve got to be able to be successful, you’ve got to win up front on both sides of the ball. We’ve got some guys up there like Brian Allen with a lot of experience, a very good player. I think Tyler Higby and David Beedle are two guys with an enormous amount of ability. They’ve got to transition to become that full-time starter, take that next step but I think they’re very capable. Cole Chewins is a guy at left tackle that’s going to do everything he can possibly do. Great attention to detail guy. He’s gotten much better. And at the right tackle Luke Campbell is a redshirt freshman but he showed things last year and was probably ready to play last year but we just held him out.’’

On defensive back Josiah Scott and others: “I think Josiah’s playing well but again it’s early. I think Justin Layne’s really had a very good first five days but again it’s the first day in pads out here so we try and put them in situations where they have to make plays on the ball with their back to the ball so we’re just trying to put them in adverse situations as much as we can.’’

Dantonio added that Scott has much of the same mental makeup to play the position as Darqueze Dennard. Said, “he’s very mature, is going to work extremely hard, is very sure of himself and confident.’’

Special teams: Dantonio said he would consider true freshman Shakur Brown as an early candidate to return punts. Hinted that Brandon Sowards has a leg up but that MSU wants more productivity out of its punt return. Also said another true freshman Laress Nelson has the skill set to be in the mix.

And in terms of the wideout spot, it could be the most competitive for playing time. Dantonio named Trishton Jackson, Darrell Stewart and Felton Davis III as the top three right now but added that Cody White, Sowards, Hunter Rison and Cam Chambers will be in the mix.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.