ADVERTISEMENT

SparTex got me thinking - Update on former player Derek Hughes...........

Bob the Spartan

All-Flintstone
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2001
Whitsett, North Carolina
Hughes was discussed in the Claude Geiger thread (thank you, SparTex) but imo deserves his own thread, especially with the news I uncovered about his passing, in 2008. I did not know he had died until I researched him this morning.

Anyone who saw RB Derek Hughes in action during the 1978 and 1979 seasons for MSU got to see something very special.

Hughes was elite. A combination of size, speed and vision. Not a change of direction RB like K9, but, like K9, when Hughes carried the ball, it was immediate excitement. He had the tools to be a legitimate Heisman candidate and there was that buzz up until he blew out his knee prior to the 1980 season.

Back in those days blowing out your ACL was often career ending. Hughes had partial recovery from his initial ACL surgery and then blew out the same knee 11 months later. He battled back from the 2nd surgery but was a shadow of his former ability. He did briefly play in the USFL the, CFL and Arena leagues before he hung em up for good.

Here are 2 links about Derek Hughes, one on his professional career and stats and the other is an article about his career, death, and his high school honoring him, good read.

I will always remember watching him. He was that special. I am sorry to learn about his premature death.

High School honors alumni Derek Hughes

Derek Hughes Pro Stats

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News