ADVERTISEMENT

Spy gate

jim comparoni

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
Still not sure about spy gate. Not sure we'll know who was supposed to be in the middle.

But on ASU's first possession of the second half, MSU played man to man on third and medium. MSu played man to man WAY less in this game than the first two games or any game last year. MSU wanted to play zone to keep a lid on the WR tunnel screen to No. 2, and the RB screen to Eno, and to limit QB scramble keeps. All wise decisions. MSU gave up a little bit of underneath passing to do this, but prevented gate-breaking plays (up until the deep shot on the final drive).

Anyway, on this third and medium at the beginning of the 2H, msu used Antjuan Simmons as a spy, and he got in on a half-sack with Raequan Williams.

That worked well .They put a fence around the mobile QB, as Narduzzi used to say.

Man to man with a spy is something msu didn't show at all in the first half. So msu showed it on the initial third down on the 2H, just to put something else in the QB's head for the rest of the game.

I'm sure they discussed the use of the man-to-man spy that they used on this play for the sack, but opted against man-to-man.

As for the fourth-and-13 error, MSU was in zone for that one, and Dantonio said there was a spy assignment on that play, but obviously no one carried out the spy assignment.

Dantonio did say on Sunday night that "we dropped too deep." I don't know if he was talking about Bachie, but when I rewatched that play I thought he was dropping too deep considering the situation. Bachie had made a great pass break up, one play earlier. Maybe he was where he was supposed to be on that fourth and 13, but if so, then they had him too deep to the line of gain on a scramble. But he might have been at the proper depth if a spy had bounced the scramble route of the QB.

Reactions: P Funk and echo3847
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News