ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Surprising Michigan State Stat: Third-down defense

Ryan OBleness

All-Bubba Smith
Staff
Oct 24, 2022
I was doing some research for my game preview this week and discovered that Michigan State leads the country in third-down defense through three games. Washington decimated Michigan State in every asepct last week, except for perhaps third downs, going 3-for-10 (0-for-2 in first half).

There is a slight discrepancy between the NCAA and Michigan State's official stats, as the NCAA has MSU at 18.9% on third-down conversions allowed (7-for-37), but MSU actually has it at 18.4% (7-for-38). Either way, tops in FBS right now.

Now, I know you're all going to say that Michigan State hasn't faced a ton of third downs because the Spartans gave up so many first downs to Washington on first-down and second-down plays, but MSU has faced more third downs this season than Utah, North Carolina State, Indiana, Cincinnati, Texas A&M, Kansas and several other Power Five programs. The Spartans also have about equal umber of attempts against as Florida, California, Maryland and Pittsburgh.

Obviously a lot of this is also driven by playing Central Michigan and Richmond early as well, but the fact remains. Anyway, I just found it interesting. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordietanona
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News