ADVERTISEMENT

The Type of Teams B1G Should Target

406charles

All-Gibson
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2003
I keep hearing things like, “The SEC would never take Clemson, they already have the SC market.” I think this is old model thinking. I don’t hear anyone saying the B1G shouldn’t take ND because we already have the Indiana and Chicago markets covered.

The new model is eyeballs. Would I watch So. Car vs Vandy? Probably not, but I might tune into Clemson vs Vandy. Or Clemson vs anyone really. Think of the NFL, Green Bay is one of the smallest markets but biggest brands. KC, Pittsburgh, etc. It’s the same idea behind Nebraska. Small area, but big national brand.

The B1G needs big brands, not necessarily big and (new) population areas. Bonus if you qualify for both (USC). Oregon is a national brand. They will continue to be so. Get them in. ND is a national brand, get them in the fold.

The next teams are tough for me, I’m imagining 20 teams. What are the next biggest brands in the leftover conferences? Too bad Duke doesn’t have even Maryland level football. That would be a good brand. UVA is a nice academic institution but it doesn’t have a national brand. UNC? That one might be good. Clemson fits but for the academic part. Stanford? Maybe, and if it helps pull in ND, maybe worth it. Washington has some cache, as do the Arizona’s but I’m not sure they have name recognition that a coast to coast league wants. Same for Colorado.

I guess end of day I would say ND, Oregon, Stanford (for ND) and UNC if you can get them. Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News