ADVERTISEMENT

Time for a reset?

JPL28

Freshman
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2020
Dewitt MI
As a resident nobody from the Great State of Michigan and an MSU alumni/donor/season ticket holder/fan, I'm distressed by how this rivalry has devolved to where we are at this moment. Believe me, I absolutely do not like Michigan and many of their fans. But, these are two World Class institutions with long-standing history, success, and pride in their athletic programs. What's gone on the last 10+ years is juvenile and embarrassing and well beneath what should be expected from leaders, administrators, coaches, players and fans. I think it has to stop - it has honestly lost anything resembling a true respectful rivalry and I think both sides are to blame. Here are some of the things that I think should be done to achieve the reset I think everybody really wants to restore things.

1) Noon game always
2) Social media blackout for players
3) Any media outlet/person that promotes Mike Hart, Devin Bush, old Dantonio clips, the throat slash, or any of the other crap that has gone on the last 10 years should have their credentials yanked for the game. How about we specifically do away with "Happy Trouble With The Snap Day"? We're better than that. Yes, UM fans gloat and whine....but, so have we.
4) Off-season joint community service projects for UM/MSU football players - these kids are friends, peers, former teammates to one another and, to Jim's point, the adults and fans and media have turned it into something it doesn't need to be for them in particular
5) Specific pre/post game scripting of activities and movements with stiff penalties for not following

I love what Coach Dantonio did for this program, specifically for this rivalry. I'll never forget it. I enjoyed thoroughly all of the beatings we gave them. But it's all in the past and is no longer relevant. I don't want to hear/see anything more about -48 yards, Trouble With The Snap, the Spear in the field, etc etc. Just flush it all and move to the next chapter.

I actually thought to myself yesterday that I hope they don't play next year. Unless everyone - fans, media, coaches, administrators - hit the reset button and clean this up, I think it'll just get worse and what does that even look like. Nothing I want to be a part of.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News