ADVERTISEMENT

What to like about Lyke

jim comparoni

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
Here's my take on MSU's newest commitment, Kenney Lyke.

I posted this deep within a thread earlier today, but some of you might not dig that deep into topic view threads. So here it is again, with a few edits:

My take on Lyke:

* Decent straight-line speed. They say 4.5 electronically. On film he has decent speed, not great speed. But that was junior film for a 6-foot-2 guy still growing into his frame. I think he could have 4.5 speed at some point, which would be plenty with the way he plays.
* Decent change of direction. A couple of times on film, he changes direction in the short area and is right on it. Other times, it's decent, not great. I'm being nit-picky, here. Again, this is junior film for a tall guy still growing into his frame. So there is athleticism and agility on the rise a lot of times with young guys in frames like these.
* Good hitting ability at times. He's willing to show up and knock you. He doesn't shy away from contact. His hitting will also improve as he continues to get his man feet under him. His interest in and willingness to arrive with force is a big plus. He's not an every-play bone crusher, but he has an interest in it and therefore a high ceiling of potential to aspire to in this area, when combined with his frame and decent speed and his best attribute (which I'll get to in a minute).
* Good ball skills. Finishes interception opportunities, plays some WR.
* What he does best, in my opinion, is break out of the W drill movement. When he is in a backpedal at safety, reads a play, and does a "W" break forward in pursuit of a route or the ball, he does it RIGHT NOW. Dantonio would call that "sudden." He goes from backward to forward in an instant, quickly, and his first step is long and fast and he covers ground with that thing and is into the fray in a hurry. That's rangy. Combine that with improving athleticism and hitting ability and you can see why Dantonio and Barnett approved and would want a guy like this in the middle of the field.
* Decent tackler. Good strength to secure. Seems to need work in getting his head around and closing the gate, although in his team's scheme they might want him to inside-out it, I'm not sure.
* He fits the three-star description. Nice prospect. Needs some work. In that Lippett/NateSalley mold as a DB. He's an interesting prospect. I'll look forward to his senior film. MSU has been very good at buying stock on the rise, and he's in that category.
* Interesting that ND and Baylor are on him. Their offers came after MSU offered. This is another case of a player's scholarship offers and interest being stronger than the ranking. I would anticipate him being a Top 15 player in Illinois, at least, when things get updated after his senior year, if not earlier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News