ADVERTISEMENT

OFF TOPIC: Which UP NORTH communities are primarily GREEN or Blue?

kellygreen10

All-Gibson
Jul 4, 2010
It gets awfully hot where I live in the summer, and every year I find myself dreaming of an Up North Michigan cottage on or near the water. Some day...

Just got back from a fantastic Michigan vacation and came away with the following observations (purely anecdotal over a short time frame, so take with several grains of salt)

First stop was Whitehall/Montague. I've spent a fair amount of time in this area over the years and would say it leans Green. Most of us know Dantonio's place is in Montague which cannot hurt. White Lake connecting to Lake Michigan is a major bonus for boating purposes.

Second stop Ludington. My first time there since I was a child and I thought it was gorgeous. The dunes, the state park, Hamlin Lake, Lake Michigan. Lots of natural beauty. I thought I read somewhere on here that there is a large UM presence in the area and my experience was no different. At the beach and downtown it was close to 10 to 1 blue. Now, I was with a group of Spartans and we were not draped head to toe in MSU gear like it was gameday in the Fall, so you can't always tell. Is Ludington really mostly M folk?

Third stop Leelanau County. Absolutely stunning up there. A more affluent area with less sports apparel to be seen, but it seemed like I saw a little more Green. Hard to say from one short trip.

Last stop was TC up to Elk Rapids. Again, I saw more Green but it wasn't overwhelming and it was only a couple of days.

I really liked Ludington and the proximity to family in GR is a bonus, but not sure I could handle being surrounded by UM people all summer. One of the best things about living out of state is not having to put up with them.

So I ask the collective wisdom and knowledge of the board, which Up North areas are mostly Green or blue?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News