ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Why MSU wide receivers coach Courtney Hawkins is 'excited' about his group

Ryan OBleness

All-Bubba Smith
Staff
Oct 24, 2022
Michigan State wide receivers coach Courtney Hawkins understands that the Spartans don't necessarily have a "go-to-guy" in the passing game right now, but he expects that player to emerge soon. While one player may not dominate targets right away, Hawkins believes his "deep" group of wide receivers will thrive in 2023.

There are many players in the widroom looking to get on the field in MSU's season opener versus Central Michigan on Friday night, and Hawkins likes the competition he's seen from the group throughout fall camp.

Hawkins provided updates about the wide receivers during his media availability session on Tuesday, and explained why he is "excited" to see the group in game action.

"I think there's gonna be a lot of opportunities," Hawkins said about the targets in the passing game available. "When you're (coming off a) 5-7 (season), you have to establish that go-to guy. We'll figure it out as the season goes, I've got a room of guys that are hungry to prove their worth and ... fought for the opportunity to play. Like I said, it goes back to compete to stay. So, they've been competing, compete to stay, compete to play, and they've been competing their tails off. I'm excited about my group."

More here:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News