ADVERTISEMENT

Wondering how many people have joined my logic on Playoff Expanison

robin604

All-Bubba Smith
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2007
Every college football fan generally thinks expansion should happen, however I've been shocked by the number of half measure fans their are.

Most I would argue (anecdotally) would prefer 8 teams. To me, I ascribe to the "Death to BCS" Dan Wetzel logic of 16, and I would argue basketball this year, as well as our sample shot of the past 3 years in Football support that point, but I'm curious if everyone still holds their position.

On the table, the proposal would be a 16-team playoff, 11 auto-bids for Div 1 Conferences, + 5 "At-Large Bids" for those who didn't win their Conference.

Logic/Consequences:

- End the silly shuffle of teams, as being in a small conference still has merit moving forward
- Either stop calling all 11 conferences the same or give them a shot to win it all. UCF, Boise, Fresno, Northern Illinois over the years have all shown they're good teams, call them D2 if they can't win a D1 Championship.
- Replace the emphasis on winning your league. Enough of OSU and Bama getting in without winning the conference, make them secure an auto-bid, and re-emphasize the importance of the regular season
- 5 Auto Bids ensure that the Bama's, OSU, etc. still get in after the auto-bids, but eliminates PSU and others being left out.
- Seed the 16, Top 8 get Home Games (Money $$$ for college campuses) and Bottom 8 travel. 1/2 the tickets go to each athletic department.
- D2 plays a playoff, stop pretending this is too much for the college athlete.
- Shorten the Non-Conference by 1-2 games, everyone would gladly give up a cupcake for something of this magnitude.
- "But it'll destroy the bowls". They're dead. They're destroyed. Only 3-4 matter anymore, just make the system mirror the best of post-season sports and enjoy the amazing spectacle of some of the greatest college football games we've ever witnessed.
- Start the Playoff the week after Thanksgiving, wrap it up a week after it does now, mid-January.

This is 4 Games postseason for the winners. It's a lot, but they'd be showcasing their skills on the largest stage we've ever known. No more c

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News