ADVERTISEMENT

Yesterday when I gave the West Virginia news ...

jim comparoni

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
I was hearing from a good source in Ohio on Saturday, close to the recruiting scene in Ohio, that word within Fickell's family was that he was going to take the job.

But then word came on Sunday that people within Fickell's family DIDN'T think he was going to take the job.

I can't reveal the source. But it has to do with people within Fickell's family speaking with friends. It was innocent and organic and credible.

Michigan State 100 percent thought this was a done deal. From the Cincinnati side of things, obviously, it wasn't. It wasn't a slam dunk, obviously.

This is horrible news for Michigan State. With Fickell reportedly out, the process will now shift back to square one.

Among the options are for Mike Tressel to coach in 2020 as the interim coach. At this point, the chances of that being the case have likey skyrocketed.

A source who speaks on a regular basis with some parents of MSU players told me late last week that during team meetings, Tressel was telling players that if Fickell didn't get the job, then he, Tressel, would be their coach.

Maybe that was a psychological move by Tressel to avoid substitute teacher type of fallout in the meantime. Or maybe he has reason to believe that.

As for other options, Athletics Director Bill Beekman could open a second round of interviews.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News