ADVERTISEMENT

OFF TOPIC: Your first favorite Spartan athlete

papasmurph

All-Skiles
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2003
Figured that maybe some of us need a little diversion to help walk us off the ledge so I thought I would change up the narrative a little. Don't know if the term heroes is actually what I mean but it will do.
Football...Dean Look...never saw him play but I remember listening to Spartan games on the radio as a kid and for what ever reason I idolized Look. I believe he placed in the Heisman vote and I know he had a long and distinguished career as an NFL ref. HM...George Saimes, Dewey Lincoln, Sherman Lewis, and of course, Bubba! Also loved Duffy and especially his Sunday night TV show. When I got to college it was Brad Van Pelt and of course watching Eric the flea Allen was priceless. If you don't know about him you should. Watch some of his film.
Basketball...Pete Gent...rarely saw him play because MSU was rarely on TV back then but for some reason I really liked him. HM would be Mike Robinson when I was in college. To this day I have never, ever, seen anyone, pro or college have a sweeter looking shot.
Baseball...Larry Ike...I was in college and the kid could really pitch. A sly and tricky pitcher who also played in the great Grand rapids league with either the Sullivans or Steelcase (can't remember which). Not sure why he couldn't cut it in pro baseball, probably velocity or maybe an injury. The baseball team in the early 70s also had a hitter whose name escapes me but was, I think, the Big 10 player of the year.
Track...Herb Washington...worlds fastest human in short sprints who set numerous world records that would be standing today except for the fact that they were hand-timed. Also was a DR for the world champion Oakland A's. Close second was Ken Popejoy. Ran a few sub 4 minute miles, beat Olympic Champ Dave Wottle, and for a period of a couple of years as good of a middle distance runner as anyone in America. For the ladies it was Judi Brown, Olympic Champ!
Hockey...didn't follow it until I got to college and I can't remember any players but I do remember the colorful Amo Bessone (sp)
Wrestling...Loved the Milkovic (sp) brothers.
Lacrosse, yes lacrosse. Great sport to watch and I went to multiple games in the early 70s. Had a guy who was a floor mate at Akers who was an All American. For the life of me I can't remember his name but it was something like Val Washintgon I think. Maybe one of you knows. Great guy as well.
Women's hoops...didn't really follow them until the 90s and there wasn't one player who was a hero but sure enjoy, even today watching them play. Lest you think I don't follow women's sports you would be wrong. Coached HS girl's hoops for more than 30 years and also women's track and love watching and supporting women's sports. Great to see how far they have come.
Didn't count anyone lately because I mainly wanted to share my first heros from back in the day. I am sure I am missing someone as there are actually far too many to name. Great memories.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News