ADVERTISEMENT

A few additional Windmon thoughts….

SparTex

All-Daugherty
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Most of you have already seen this write up by MSU on Windmon through 2 games:

• Senior defensive end/linebacker Jacoby Windmon caused three forced fumbles, the most by a Spartan since Joe Bachie had three vs. Maryland in 2018 . . . he also recorded 1.5 sacks (14 yards) and 2.5 tackles for loss (17 yards) in addition to a fumble recovery and five tackles overall . . . Windmon now has 5.5 sacks, 6.5 tackles for loss and four forced fumbles in just two games this season.

That is friggin amazing, and why he has been the B1G DPOW 2 weeks in a row.

But here are a few additional thoughts:

• His 5.5 sacks put him at 2nd nationally. One guy has 6. 3rd place is at 4 sacks.
  • His 4 Forced Fumbles leads the NCAA. The next closest is 2.
  • In game 1, he had 4 sacks. However, he got to the QB first 3 other times, forcing him to step up and get sacked by another Spartan. He was close to getting 7 sacks.
  • In game 2, on every passing down, Akron brought a TE or RB over to create a double-team, so his stats in week 2 were against double-teams.
  • Going forward, I’m sure we will blitz from the opposite side of Windmon. This is what most teams do when they have a dominant pass-rusher. I saw this with the Texans when JJ Watt was at his peak. We would get a lot of sacks from the other side, with a DE and LB blitzing as teams rolled their protection towards Watt.
  • Maryland and Washington pass a lot (Minny not so much), so those two games should be interesting for our pass rush.
I am hoping that Windmon keeps going, and gets into the national spotlight as his stats add up.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News