ADVERTISEMENT

MEN'S BASKETBALL Michigan State falls at Purdue, 80-74 and now has lost three straight (game recap)

Dr. Green and White

All-Flintstone
Staff
Sep 4, 2003
Howell, MI
I must admit that I was generally confused by tonight's games. I am honestly not sure what to think about it. Here is my official, by the book recap:

But here is what I am actually thinking.

Overall, I think that MSU played OK. I would give the effort a B-. I came away mostly feeling what I have felt for the last two years. Purdue is fool's gold. Yes, Edey is hard to stop. Yes, they can shoot. But tonight Purdue only hard four guys score more than two points, Edey put up 32 points and Loyer and Smith hit 80% of their threes combined... and yet Purdue only wins by six at home?

I thought that this was the best game that Walker has played in a while. They was encouraging. But in the first half, Hoggard, Hall, and Akins ALL did not really show up... and yet MSU trailed by just three points... on the road... at Purdue. Booker and Holloman were a big part of the reason why.

Akins and Hall played a little better in the second half. Hoggard was a little better, but he was flat out miserable from the field.

Once again, I expected MSU to play sharp and it really didn't happen. If MSU was actually sharp tonight, I think that they win that game. But MSU covered and their Kenpom rankings will likely go UP after this performance.

So at the end of the night, I am just confused. MSU did some good things tonight, but the record still says that they are 17-12 overall, 9-9 in Big Ten play, and flirting aggressively with the NCAA bubble. But at the same time, it they would have played slightly better tonight, they would have won. My only conclusion is Purdue is over-rated... right?

If MSU's big four of Hoggard, Akins, Walker, and Hall can get their act together, this team is still dangerous. If Holloman and Booker and maybe sometime like Cooper can also have a game at the same time... this team is REALLY dangerous. But at the same time, they could VERY EASILY drop the next two and find themselves in the NIT. I just don't understand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News