ADVERTISEMENT

Offense: Scheme, In-Game Strategy, and Execution

Greenbelly

All-Daugherty
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2001
It's obvious to most fans that changes to our offensive staff is needed, but I see people wanting Kingsbury (JLS light) or some "spread 'em out" guru on the grounds that our offense isn't working because we're overly conservative. Not only is this wrong, it's dangerously wrong IMHO.

While i think changes to the staff are needed, making changes for the wrong reason could be a very bad thing. I guess, I don't believe the scheme is the issue. Rather, I feel three things MUST change (either with new coaches or the same):

(1) We need to change up our in-game strategy. Warner has proven for years he's not a very good in-game strategist. He gives up too easily on what works in effort to be "overly diverse" -- i.e. running and passing out of two back sets with the QB under center in favor of a 5 wide spread. It's almost like he throws darts at a board, because he certainly doesn't seem to have a feel for the game flow.

(2) Warner doesn't seem to adjust to his personnel. We've had a poor to average OL for years, and we now seem to have a QB that can't a broad side of a barn. Instead of slow developing post and flag routes, perhaps try rolling the QB out with crossing patterns or short-medium layer routes to lessen the burden on the OL?

(3) Execution must improve. I get injuries have forced many of our guys to play out of position or before they're ready, but some of these (and the frequency of these) penalties, missed routes, missed holes, missed blocking assignments, etc. are bad. Even for a good high school team bad. I subscribe to the "if you don't fix it, you're allowing it to happen" mantra. Clearly Warner and the O staff do not.

Normally, I'd feel 100% confident Coach D will make the right decisions. Whether that's a subtle or sweeping change (which we know he wouldn't do), but after seeing this offense sputter for years now - I'm no longer sure he will make a change.

FTR - I'd like to see the following changes (I know it's not worth a lot, but here you go):

• Warner to keep the OC position, but give up RBs
  • Salem take on RBs
  • Staten let go (IMHO - he's the weakest link on our staff)
  • Bollman retire (I'm not as down on Bollman as many here are -- he is what he is, an old war horse with a lot of OH connections)
  • Treadwell to QB coach
  • New OL and TE coaches
What say you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News