ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Ohio State and Oregon Thoughts

Dr. Green and White

All-Flintstone
Staff
Sep 4, 2003
Howell, MI
Since the game was overly competitive last night, my mind wondered a bit to think about the entire Big Ten race. I also enjoyed a nice, strong pumpkin beer in the first half (Pumpking from Southern Tier) and then an Old Fashioned in the second half. That made things better.

I was pretty surprised by some of the contrasting things that I saw in Michigan State's game against Ohio State and last night's game against the Ducks. I am curious if @glassman12 might be able to provide some insight.

The score at halftime was similar in the two games, but the way MSU got there could not have been more different. I thought MSU outplayed OSU in the first half but got destroyed by Oregon. The second half was more competitive in Eugene, but it was sort of a different flavor of garbage time, so I am not sure that it matters.

In the first half against Ohio State, MSU moved the ball really well. MSU even ran the ball pretty well on the designed run plays. That was surprising. But the combination of turnovers, ball calls, ball luck, and circus catches by the clowns from Columbus made the score very lopsided.

But against Oregon, the complete and total lack of a run game was a stark contrast. With MSU one-dimensional, Chiles was a sitting duck (ha!) back there. He had no chance. MSU got dominated in the trenches in a way that was nothing like what happened against OSU. That was interesting. Now, was that schematic? Was it execution? Was the team just worn out or jetlagged? That is what I hope Chase can help answer. Whatever the cause, Oregon's defense TKO'ed MSU offense after the first drive (which was really just two good pass plays). That was essentially the ball game.

On offense, Oregon also gashed MSU on the ground in ways that surprised me and that concern me going forward. Again, was MSU just physically beaten? Were they in the wrong place? Did Oregon just run some good offense and misdirection? Or, was MSU a step slow after playing another Top 5 team last week and flying across the country on short rest? It is probably a combination of all factors, but I am curious what others think.

I am not an expert on this, but to my eye, I thought Oregon ran some good stuff on offense and executed really well. WR blocking was really good, and that is often the difference between a good offense and a great one. They are going to be a problem for the rest of the conference.

As for MSU, the bye week comes at a good time. This team has every right to be tired. They have played three teams that were ranked at some point and flown to Maryland, Boston, and Oregon. Contrast this travel schedule to a certain other Big Ten team in the state who played five straight home games to start the season... but I digress. In the back half of the schedule, MSU only leaves the state once to travel to lovely Champaign, Illinois (my least favorite Big Ten town, FWIW). We will learn a bit more about how beatable Iowa is this afternoon, but the back end of the schedule is certainly easier than the front half.

After last night I must admit that I am really intrigued by next week's Oregon/Ohio State game. The data will shift, by my computer is projecting OSU to be about a 7-point favorite right now. After watching both teams play, I am not so sure of that. OSU might have better skill players, but Oregon looked a LOT tougher to me. Was part of that the contrast between an MSU team playing at home and a jetlagged MSU team playing 2,300 miles from home? Sure... but I don't think so. Also, Iowa is a bunch of tough SOBs. Ohio State is going to feel that some Sunday morning. And then the Buckeyes are going to have to fly across the country to face the Ducks on one extra day of rest.

Uh oh.

At this point, I think Oregon might win by double digits.

Reactions: MSUFrank
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.