ADVERTISEMENT

So all you Fire Dantonio Guys Pony Up...

Redpachyderm

Gold Member
Sep 21, 2011
You have what you wished for. He's gone. Who did you think you were going to get to replace him? Did you think Saban was going to come back?

I love Michigan State, but it's not a good coaching job. It's 4th best in B1G East with regards to money, prestige, and history. It's the kind of program where 9-3 is a great year. You can say whatever you want but that won't change things.

There's nothing wrong with being a Michigan State. However, it helps when the fan base knows what we are and accepts our role in the conference. You need to be excited for wins over Northwestern and Indiana, and ecstatic over foes like Wisconsin and Michigan. You need to embrace when Michigan State plays a good game agains a superior foe but loses.

Michigan State got very lucky with Dantonio. He was an unknown commodity when they hired him. He improved as a coach during his tenure. Michigan went into a decline and Penn State was in limbo for years with Paterno. That by no means was the only reason Dantonio won BIG championships but it helped. He topped out and started to decline a bit but he was still respected. He might have turned it around for a few good years but perhaps not. We will never know.

Now Michigan State is in the embarrassing position of being exposed as a program that no good coach wants to go to. Fickell was smart because he knows he can do better in a year or two. It hurts but it was the smart, cool play by him.

Do we roll the dice on fat man Bielama? Shit, I don't know. I doubt it's the right move. Coaches who exhibit his character I don't like but Jim Harbaugh acts like a frickin 4 year old and he's a decent coach...so maybe.

These other jokers at Eastern Michigan and the like. Are they good? Can they handle the pressure of a B1G job? Nobody has a clue really. Michigan State could go thru a decade of loser hires. Some people that are Iowa fans have been calling for Kirk Ferentz's head for 20 years. Fortunately for Iowa, they have had administrators there who know better. I wish I were an Iowa fan...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News