ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING Step Inside THE WAR ROOM (2.20.21)

jim comparoni

All-Hannah
May 29, 2001
THE WAR ROOM

By Jim Comparoni
Publisher
SpartanMag.com

East Lansing, Mich. - I’ve never seen roster construction or roster management in late February the way we are seeing it these days, across the country. Michigan State is no exception, with the Spartans in the midst of one of perhaps the biggest roster overhaul in the 85-scholarship era, and maybe the most new faces and exits since the program was reestablished after World War II.

Three items were of interest on Friday night.

1. Transfer portal linebacker BEN VANSUMEREN, formerly of the University of Michigan, told SpartanMag.com he is close to making a decision. It sounds to us like it’s down to Michigan State and Indiana.

More on that later.

2. Remember walk-on punter target BRENDEN SEGOVIA of California? He had committed to UCLA, didn’t gain admission, opened things up, and Michigan State was squarely involved as of two weeks ago?

Well, Michigan State is no longer under consideration. There is more to the story, but most of it is off the record. Segovia wasn’t entirely happy with the way some things went down and he decided to focus on other schools. Maryland offered a walk-on invitation and as of now, that’s the direction he seems to be headed. He has eliminated Michigan State.

A little more on him later.

3. Michigan State did receive an actual roster addition on Friday night when walk-on linebacker SAMIH BEYDOUN announced his commitment to transfer to Michigan State from Army West Point on Friday night.

Let’s expand on Beydoun first. I spoke with him last night and got the rundown on his situation.

He’s a 6-foot, 215-pound linebacker from Canton, Mich. He played at Detroit Catholic Central and initially committed to attend Michigan as a preferred walk-on.

Michigan, Colorado State and UMass each told him that if he spent a year at a prep school, he would be re-recruited as a scholarship player. So he

decided to attend prep school in New Jersey. Around that time, Army West Point offered a scholarship. So he accepted and headed off to become a Black Knight.

Army West Point recruiting is pretty unique. They usually sign about 75 players. Many of them are assigned to spend a year at Army Prep, which is kind of their junior college. That’s where Beydoun was assigned. He went through cadet basic training in 2019 and the whole bit.

He played for Army Prep in the fall of 2019 against teams like Valley Forge Military College, Nassau Community College, Navy Prep and Air Force Prep.

(Army Prep has been a big part of Army West Point’s resurgence. Fourteen of Army West Point’s starters in 2019 spent a year at Army Prep.)

Samih Beydoun (pronouned SAH-MEH BAE-doon) started at outside linebacker for Army Prep and was a pretty good pass rusher.

He was moved up to the big team at Army West Point for the 2020 season. He was with the team for a week of preseason camp, but decided to opt out. He finished the fall semester at West Point.

“Army is awesome and I loved West Point,” he said. “It is such an amazing community.”

Off the field, he was chosen as a platoon leader at Army Prep.

“I enjoyed it, however the football wasn’t for me,” he said. “I knew I wanted more in terms of football. It has always been my dream to play in the Big Ten.”

Eastern Michigan offered a walk-on invitation. Michigan was talking with him again.

“Then MSU came along and it was game over,” he said.

Linebackers coach Ross Els reached out to him in February.

“He said he liked that I played violently and fast,” Beydoun said.

So where does he fit in the Michigan State program? He will be a square-one walk-on and major in economics.

“Coach Els just said I would have to come and earn it everyday,” Beydoun.

Michigan State has lost four linebackers who began preseason camp with the Spartans last fall: Antjuan Simmons (to graduation), Marcel Lewis (sent to the portal), Luke Fulton (sent to the portal) and Jeslord Boateng (sent to the portal).

Michigan State is returning Noah Harvey and Chase Kline as playing-group linebackers.

Cal Haladay saw time on special teams last year as a true freshman. Walk-on Terry O’Connor (6-3, 220, R-Soph., Traverse City) repped as a third-stringer last year and dressed for every game.

No other linebacker on the roster saw the field in 2020.

Cole DeMarzo (6-4, 210, Fr., Hilton Head, S.C.) arrived at Michigan State as a safety from the Dantonio era and is now listed as a linebacker. He dressed for at least one game, late in the season.

Devin Hightower (5-11, 220, Fr., Twinsburg, Ohio/Akron Hoban) also dressed for at least one game.

Incoming freshman linebackers include four-star Ma’a Gaoteote of Las Vegas Bishop Gorman and two-star Carson Casteel of Florence, Ala.

Scholarship long snapper Hank Pepper (6-3, 220, Chandler, Ariz.) has bonus ability as an all-state linebacker. He’s a legit candidate to fight for playing time some day at that position.

Let the record show that Michigan State plays 33 percent fewer linebackers in the starting lineup than in the past (two, instead of three linebackers). So there are fewer linebackers needed on the roster.

However, Michigan State still needs some bodies. There are openings in the starting lineup, and in the playing group. And they could use some bodies on the scout team. That’s likely where Beydoun will be headed. But Michigan State pursued him for a reason. They want his kamikaze downforce on the roster. He might be able to help on special teams at some point, too. He’s a competitor to throw in the pile.

So who are the projected first- and second-stringers at linebacker for spring practice? Hell, I don’t know. I’m trying to keep my ear to the ground on that one.

Antjuan Simmons is gone as signal-calling Mike backer. Chase Kline was able to play either LB position last year. When Simmons needed a rest, Kline went in. When Noah Harvey needed to come out, or erred, Kline went in.

Kline wasn’t a starter last year, but I suspect he’ll have a shot at starting Mike linebacker this year.

And Harvey made some progress last year after a rocky beginning.

So who pushes those guys for time?

This spring, it would have to be Haladay, O’Connor, Hightower, DeMarzo.

Gaoteote and Pepper will arrive in the summer, along with Beydoun.

Michigan State still has a lot of space for portal players. That’s where VanSumeren could come in.

I’m probably burying the lead here, but when I spoke with VanSumeren on Friday, he said he is very close to making a decision.

VanSumeren (6-2, 253, Essexville Garber High School) played inside linebacker at Michigan last year. He was listed as a junior, which means he has two more years of eligibility.

Last year, VanSumeren played 77 snaps and had seven tackles and one assist. When he came into the game, Michigan usually shifted to a two-gapping 3-4.

VanSumeren wouldn’t be a savior if he selects Michigan State, but he would provide another body at an area in need of competition. Would he outshine Kline, Harvey and Haladay? I don’t know. In some areas, maybe.

But make no mistake, Michigan State has made VanSumeren a priority. They see something in him that they like. They had a thick scouting report on him last year when Michigan State played Michigan. They went over his film again when he entered the portal. And Michigan State has been charging at him full-bore.

That was around the time that VanSumeren’s brother, Alex VanSumeren, a four-star defensive tackle, decommitted from Michigan.

ALEX VANSUMEREN (6-2, 300) is ranked the No. 4 player in Michigan and No. 182 in the nation for the class of 2022. He’s a strong dude with quick feet who plays low and with a relentless motor.

Michigan State has been pursuing both VanSumerens hard since they went back on the market.

Meanwhile, the younger VanSumeren picked up a scholarship offer from Clemson yesterday.

The younger VanSumeren has been tighter-lipped with his recruitment than his older brother in the transfer portal.

So it was interesting on Friday evening to converse with the older VanSumeren and try to get a read on things.

Which schools is the older VanSumeren hearing from: Indiana, West Virginia, Arizona, TCU, Northwestern, Missouri, Colorado, Michigan State.

I asked him which schools is he serious about.

“Considering Indiana, Michigan State and West Virginia at the moment,” he said.

He has had virtual visits with each of those schools, aside from Northwestern and Missouri.

He said linebackers coach Ross Els and head coach Mel Tucker have been the primary recruiters for him.

Tucker has been extremely involved. Tucker doesn’t go out front in each and every recruitment. Sometimes he’s out-front at the beginning. Sometimes he hangs back and plays the role of closer. But this recruitment seems to be of immediate importance, and Tucker has been in the front row from the beginning.

“They (Michigan State coaches) say they like my abilities to run sideline to sideline, cover and play thick in the run game,” VanSumeren said.

I asked VanSumeren if he has spoken with Tucker more than once, or just during the virtual visit.

“I’ve talked to him every day since I hit the portal,” VanSumeren said.

I asked if Tucker is the most aggressive recruiter of the head coaches from the schools he is considering.

“Him and Coach Allen from Indiana,” he said.

Okay, so this is getting serious. That’s when it became clear to me that Michigan State really wants this guy, and he’s serious about the Spartans.

With VanSumeren having been a life-long Wolverine fan, and having been in that program, I wasn’t sure he would be able to pull the trigger and become a Spartan. I expected him to arrive at a compromise candidate, and Indiana seemed as good as any.

But I asked him what it’s like to visualize himself as possibly playing for a former rival.

His answer surprised me.

“I wonder how it would go over,” he said, “but at the same time I wouldn’t mind being a villain.”

That’s quite a quote.

Okay, since we’re in a talkative mood, let’s cut to the chase about the younger brother.

I asked the older VanSumeren what advice he has for his brother and whether it’s more likely or less likely that they will end up attending the same college.

“I think there’s a good chance he ends up at the same school as me but at the end of the day he has to make his own decisions and do what’s best for him,” he said.

VanSumeren is taking classes at Michigan this spring. He will enroll at his next school in the summer.

Timeline?

“I’m making a decision very soon,” he said.

What are Michigan State coaches telling him about the Sparans’ current linebacker situation?

“Immediate playing time,” he said. “(They) really liked my film and how I move.”

That’s the thing about VanSumeren. He’s a thick, squatty linebacker. He can hammer a little bit. He isn’t a speed burner, but he is quicker and faster than you might expect with that frame and heft.

A guy like VanSumeren believes in himself and probably doesn’t feel like he got enough run at Michigan. So he is going to respond to coaches who see something in him. All of the schools that are recruiting him obviously see something in him, but Michigan State is really driving it home hard.

So this decision sounds like it could be coming soon. Michigan State and Indiana sound like the favorites to me. Indiana is a hot, feel-good program right now. But Indiana hasn’t really shown up on the younger VanSumeren’s recruiting radar since he decommitted. Alabama has been interested, Clemson made big noise with the offer, Penn State is seen as a strong contender. Texas A&M, Oregon and Wisconsin offered this week as well.

But the older VanSumeren made it sound like there’s more than a 50 percent chance that they end up playing together. Penn State, Clemson and Alabama aren’t on the older VanSumeren’s radar.

SpartanMag.com’s Kenny Jordan spoke with the younger VanSumeren on Wednesday. But the younger VanSumeren isn’t tipping his hand. He’s being very tight and cautious with his words.

The younger VanSumeren would be a major, major addition to the 2022 recruiting class, and a big boost to the Spartan recruiting effort. Very good prospect, unique motor and physical skills. Nabbing him from Michigan would look good in the funny pages, but Michigan State coaches don’t seem to be as big on that as the Michigan coaches.

This is a football pursuit and MSU’s coaches strongly believe the VanSumeren tag team can help the Spartans set a foundation.

How soon is “very soon” in terms of the older VanSumeren’s decision? Well, it’s my experience that when a recruit uses that phrase, something usually happens within a week.

Backtracking to Segovia: Kornblue Kicking’s main rep swears to me that Segovia is a scholarship-level punter. I don’t doubt it. But let the record show that he averaged less than 38 yards per punt during his most recent high school season, in 2019. Maybe he will do better this spring when California high school football is set to kick back off again. But it’s no longer any of MSU’s business.

So what does that do for Michigan State's punting situation? Not much for 2021. Bryce Barringer is back, and technically has two more years of eligibility remaining.

Barringer ranked No. 5 in the Big Ten in punting last year and was first in the conference in punts of 50 yards or more with 12, in just seven games. In other words, he was wildly inconsistent but obviously shows a strong leg at times. He has the potential to become a plus punter. Meanwhile, Michigan State will keep looking for someone to compete with him and take over from Barringer at some point, whether its 2022 or 2023. There were some thoughts that Segovia could come in and provide scholarship-level punting at walk-on prices. But I still have trouble with his high school stats from 2019.

Earlier in the week, I came across some intel and mentioned on The Underground Bunker message board that MSU’s need at the tight end position had become more pressing, and that MSU’s activity in the portal in pursuit of a tight end was about to pick up.

Then we saw Michigan State increase its interest in TE NOLAN GIVAN, of San Diego State (originally a two-star recruit from Berkley, Mich. in 2016 who originally signed with Ball State).

Michigan State has also shown strong interest in portal TE NIK OGNENOVIC (6-5, 249, Fort Lauderdale) of the University of Kentucky and ZAC LEFEBVRE (6-6, 235, Victor, NY) of the University of Buffalo.

Lefebvre committed to Western Kentucky on Jan. 13. Western Kentucky is boasting the fact that they led the nation in pass attempts per game, and they are trying to call themselves Tight End U.

That’s all fine, but Michigan State is still showing interest in him.

Lefebvre was third-team All-MAC last year with 13 catches for 169 yards in seven games as a senior. He had 21 catches as a junior in 2019.

He hit the portal for his extra senior year.

TE AARON HACKETT (6-3, 237, Venice, Fla.) of Syracuse University committed to TCU on Feb. 1. But Michigan State is kicking the tires with him, too.

Mel Tucker mentioned in January that the Spartans had to keep batting Oklahoma away in pursuit of transfer Jarrett Horst of Arkansas State. Tucker said that transfer commitments don’t sign anything, and are fair game up until they enroll. Well, Michigan State might be testing the tires on that concept.

Why? Okay, I’m burying the lead again, but that’s why you have to step all the way into The War Room.

The thing that changed at the tight end position for Michigan State involves senior Matt Dotson. Two sources told me that he experienced another lower-body health setback during training this week, to the point that he has told teammates that he is stepping away from the sport, as in retiring. Dotson has been through many injuries, tweaks and physical obstacles. He knows that professional football is not in his future. He was extremely excited to have a chance to return to the team in 2021, excited that Tucker and the staff wanted him back for an extra senior year. But the body and frame just doesn’t have much more to give.

He went down with a knee injury during MSU’s victory at Michigan on Oct. 31. He was involved in an awkward collision in landing on the Wolverine sideline. He was lost for the year. A year earlier, an achilles injury ended his junior season prematurely in 2019.

He’s worked to add weight and become the all-around tight end Michigan State hoped he could be. He had nine catches for 107 yards in three-and-a-half games when he went down last year. The dings and dents prevented him from reaching his potential. And this week, he hit another physical wall, and you can imagine the emotions that go with it.

So it’s not been officially announced, but that’s the word on Dotson, and that’s why Michigan State has ramped up its interest in tight ends in the portal - interest that I anticipate to continue to expand.

As for MSU's current tight end situation, is returning somewhat of a skeleton crew. Former walk-on punter Tyler Hunt (6-2, 235, R-Jr.) emerged as the lead replacement for Dotson. Hunt had eight catches for 78 yards on the season.

Trenton Gillison (6-4, 245, R-Soph.) had five catches for 49 yards in four games.

Walk-on kicker/punter Evan Morris (6-5, 235, R-Fr.) repped in the top three at the position at times during pre-game.

Sophomore Adam Berghorst (6-7, 260, Soph.) saw action on 36 snaps on offense, but his role decreased as the season progressed.

Ian Stewart (6-3, 220) moved from wide receiver to tight end early in the season and dressed for every game. He saw action in four games on special teams.

Tommy Guajardo, listed at 6-3, 225, redshirted last fall. He was up to a solid 243 during the season. The spring is an important opportunity for him, and really all of the tight ends.

Elsewhere on the Michigan State roster, the Spartans added transfer portal cornerback Chester Kimbrough from the University of Florida last weekend.

I asked Kimbrough’s former high school coach about him.

“Chester was a great high school player and teammate,” said coach Jerry Phillips at New Orleans Warren Easton Senior High. “Lockdown corner with great technical skills. Him going to Michigan State was news to me, as I found out when everyone else did. So, I haven’t had time to formulate any thoughts about it, but I’m sure he will do well.”

I asked a pair of Florida beat writers from Rivals.com about Kimbrough.

Nick de la Torre of Florida’s Rivals.com site said: “Florida viewed him as too small/slow. I think more highly of him than the staff does.

“He's a hard worker and a good kid off the field. Motivated. Just wasn't going to get the opportunity at Florida with this coaching staff.”

Corey Bender of Florida’s Rivals.com site said: “I’m a big fan of Kimbrough. Loose hips, light on his feet and can turn and run. Decent recovery speed as well.

“He kind of fell out of favor at Florida because he wasn’t that physical and isn’t the biggest defensive back. I thought he would have done better but I honestly just think he needed a chance of scenery. I think he will do well at Michigan State.”

What does Comparoni think? I've watched some reps from last season, went back and watched the long TD he allowed vs Arkansas (slip and fall situation, with a WR push-off, but his balance could have been better). I'll try to get a chance to watch some more.

Next August, I would expect Kimbrough and Kalon Gervin to be the leading candidates for starting jobs at the outside CB positions. I’m expecting Angelo Grose to continue to hold down the slot nickel CB position.

As we reported last week, Montorie Foster is a new face in the defensive backfield. He’s a flat out footballer who picks things up quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised if he earns a role. The spring is going to be a time for learning for Foster in the defensive backfield.

Division III All-America transfer Spencer Rowland (of Greenville, Mich., and Wheaton College) shouldn’t be counted out. His film is very intriguing. I know it’s about Division III competition, but c’mon, that’s better than going against high school competition. That kid has a little something.

Next August, I think Charles Brantley has a solid chance to make noise at cornerback. Based on high school film, I think he is the best player in the incoming recruiting class and the most college-ready.

Earlier this week, I did a recruiting feature on four-star Georgia RB DAMARI ALSTON.

Two big questions I’m wondering about him is just how fast he is, and how hard Alabama is recruiting him.

Alabama offered him a scholarship relatively early in the process. A few years ago, Alabama offered tons of players. An Alabama offer didn’t mean all that much. It basically meant you had an offer to attend their camp and try out for a scholarship.

But Alabama drew back from that approach in recent years and doesn’t offer as many scholarships as they used to.

Still, I wondered how aggressive Alabama plans to be with Alston.

I didn’t quite have that information when I wrote the story. But subsequently, I had a chance to ask Alston about it.

Alabama’s new running backs coach is Robert Gillespie. He joined the Alabama staff on Jan. 29. Prior to that, he was the running backs coach at North Carolina.

Gillespie was among the most aggressive recruiters of Alston when he was at North Carolina.

My question to Alston: Has Coach Gillespie remained in regular contact with you now that he is at Alabama?

The answer: “Yeah, Coach G is on me hard now,” Alston said.

So that’s that. Alabama appears to be very much interested.

Beating Alabama for a recruit these days is very, very hard. They will be in on some top backs. Will they stick with Alston to the finish?

Alabama is regarded as the heavy favorite for the nation’s No. 3-ranked RB, Emmanuel Henderson of Alabama.

Alston is the No. 1 RB in Georgia, and the second-biggest back among the top 15 backs in America, according to Rivals.com.

Alston didn’t tell me whether he has a dream school per se. He says his mother wants him to leave the state of Georgia. Alston already sounds business-minded and is intrigued by Michigan State, Mel Tucker and RBs coach Will Peagler. So Michigan State, in my opinion, has a solid chance to get in his top five and get an official visit from him, if and when official visits open back up.

Michigan State a legit contender for the No. 1 RB in Georgia? Yes. And also for the No. 3 RB in Georgia (Jordan McDonald) and the No. 4 RB in Florida (Jaylon Glover).

Michigan State offered the No. 1 RB in Florida this week, KAYTRON ALLEN of Bradenton IMG. I’ll have to look into it further to see if it’s one of those pie-in-the-sky offers or if Michigan State has a chance to make a run at him.

As for Alston, I would be concerned about North Carolina as a contender. North Carolina had already caught Alston’s eye when Gillespie was recruiting for head coach Mack Brown.

When Gillespie left for Alabama, that could have severely hurt the Tar Heels’ chances of staying in the race. But UNC went out and hired an ace recruiter of a RBs coach in Larry Porter. That might be bad news for Michigan State and the field in the chase for Alston.

Porter, hired on Jan. 29, coached with Mack Brown at Texas. Porter was two-time National Recruiter of the Year by Rivals.com in 2007 and ’09 when he was an assistant at LSU.

This is Porter’s second stop at UNC. Not long ago, he coached RBs Elijah Hood and TJ Logan for the Tar Heels. Both were drafted in 2017.

Porter produced six NFL Draft selections at LSU.

So Michigan State is up against it with Porter and UNC, if Alabama wasn’t enough.

But Michigan State is hanging in there for now with Alston, ranked the No. 13 RB in the country.

Meanwhile, UNC is in on two RBs ranked higher than Alston. So this might be one of those deals where Spartan recruiting fans will hope that UNC gets a commitment from No. 4-ranked George Pettaway of Suffolk, Va., or No. 8 Omarion Hampton of Clayton, N.C.

Or both.

One more thing on Alston. He has good speed, especially for a good-sized back. And good vision. If he had great speed, that would make him completely scary.

He will be running in his first track meet of the season on Saturday. Last year, as a sophomore, he clocked a 11.4 in the 100 meters in the first meet of the year, then came the COVID shutdown.

He will be running the 100, 200 and 4 by 100 this year.

“This week I’m looking to get sub-11,” he said. “But if that doesn’t happen, it’s my first meet and I’m looking to get 11.2 or 11.1. But my goal this year is to break into the 10’s this year, definitely.”

Elsewhere in the RB recruiting universe, Michigan State made the top eight on Friday night for Arkansas RB JAMES JOINTER, along with Utah, Tennessee, Purdue, Florida State, Arizona State, Missouri and Arkansas.

Jointer (5-11, 205, Little Rock Parkview) is ranked the No. 11 player in Arkansas. Rivals.com sees him as a 5.5 three-star recruit and he didn’t crack the Top 45 RBs in the nation for Rivals.com.

He would rank higher if he could make hard cuts with one step, and if he had an extra gear of speed. But he is an intriguing prospect.

In late January, he told me he had been on the phone with coaches from LSU and Nebraska. But they didn’t offer.

I don’t think he’s quite at the top of MSU’s war room board. Many are expecting him to end up committing to Arkansas.

As for JORDAN McDONALD, the No. 3-ranked RB in Georgia (6-0, 200, Alpharetta Milton High) an the No. 29 RB in the nation, Michigan State running backs coach Will Peagler has earned a spot on his radar as well.

When I asked McDonald who is recruiting him the hardest right now he said Virginia, Louisville, Michigan State, LSU, Florida State and Minnesota.

Any favorites?

“I’m completely open at this point,” McDonald said. “My family and friends will come wherever I decide to go.”

What does Peagler say he likes about McDonald?

“He said he likes my size, speed, vision, ability to break tackles and hands out of the backfield,” McDonald said. “He likes that I’m a complete, every-down back.”

As for QB recruiting, that’s going to be an interesting drama this year. Michigan State is in the final four for AJ DUFFY (originally from Moreno Valley, Calif., and now transferring to Bradenton IMG Academy and has been mentioned by SAM HORN as being in his unofficial top three, with Missouri and Louisville.

Duffy, ranked the No. 76 player in the nation and the No. 6 pro style QB, listed Michigan State, Penn State, Oregon and Florida State in his final four on Feb. 14.

However, there is a feeling among some insiders, and people in Arizona, that he is going to troll everyone and pick Arizona State.

Duffy has done very few interviews.

Horn, of Suwanee, Ga., is ranked No. 138 in the country and the No. 8 QB.

He consistently says Missouri is his favorite. In December, he said he was looking hard at Michigan State and Louisville as well. He has consistently mentioned Michigan State, Tennessee, Louisville, Duke.

Who else is high on MSU’s big board? I asked around about that last week and was told that’s still being formulated. They are keeping some guys warm, but the exact order was being discussed while trying to keep the pedal down on Horn and Duffy.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News